I recently picked up a model10 Scout in 7.62x39Russian chambering. This is the "medium-generation" Scout, not the current dressed-up one, but newer than the first-gen guns with the mag-release button on the side of the stock. I got it for a great price, with a thought towards the several thousand Russian steel-case corrosive cartridges in my basement. :)

The gun feeds reasonably well from its two detachable magazines; when cycled with any degree of enthusiasm feeding is excellent. Similarly, firing seems to be without problems. I put 60 rounds through it today and was generally very satisfied with function and accuracy (about 2.5 MOA at 100 yards with a 2x scout scope)

BUT...extraction is a problem. I have read of issues with this ammo, but I got the impression that the problem was with ammo sticking in the chamber. Mine is not sticking at all; the fired casing follows the bolt head back an inch or so when the action is cycled, but then just sits there loosely. It can always be easily dumped out of the open action simply by flicking the rifle to the side. There is never any proper extraction or ejection; this is not an occasional thing, but consistent from shot to shot, no exceptions. On close examination the extractor shows a slight shiny spot in the centre of the beveled front edge.

Is this a common problem? I was thinking of getting the improved extractor kit from SSS, but I'm not certain that this is the problem that kit is designed to solve. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now, to save you some time...I know that reloading would give better results. And I realize that higher quality domestic brass-cased ammo would probably improve things as well. I have .308's for that kind of stuff; the whole reason for buying this gun was to try to utilize those cases of milsurp crap I already have. I have sold off my SKS's and my CZ858; I am hoping to use this Savage as a low-cost "plinker scout", a cheap understudy for my Steyr. If that's not possible, this gun will go down the road...but I'm still hopeful at this point. :)