Thread: milsurp 7.62x39

milsurp 7.62x39

I recently picked up a model10 Scout in 7.62x39Russian chambering. This is the "medium-generation" Scout, not the current dressed-up one, but newer than the first-gen guns with the mag-release button on the side of the stock. I got it for a great price, with a thought towards the several thousand Russian steel-case corrosive cartridges in my basement. :)

The gun feeds reasonably well from its two detachable magazines; when cycled with any degree of enthusiasm feeding is excellent. Similarly, firing seems to be without problems. I put 60 rounds through it today and was generally very satisfied with function and accuracy (about 2.5 MOA at 100 yards with a 2x scout scope)

BUT...extraction is a problem. I have read of issues with this ammo, but I got the impression that the problem was with ammo sticking in the chamber. Mine is not sticking at all; the fired casing follows the bolt head back an inch or so when the action is cycled, but then just sits there loosely. It can always be easily dumped out of the open action simply by flicking the rifle to the side. There is never any proper extraction or ejection; this is not an occasional thing, but consistent from shot to shot, no exceptions. On close examination the extractor shows a slight shiny spot in the centre of the beveled front edge.

Is this a common problem? I was thinking of getting the improved extractor kit from SSS, but I'm not certain that this is the problem that kit is designed to solve. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now, to save you some time...I know that reloading would give better results. And I realize that higher quality domestic brass-cased ammo would probably improve things as well. I have .308's for that kind of stuff; the whole reason for buying this gun was to try to utilize those cases of milsurp crap I already have. I have sold off my SKS's and my CZ858; I am hoping to use this Savage as a low-cost "plinker scout", a cheap understudy for my Steyr. If that's not possible, this gun will go down the road...but I'm still hopeful at this point. :)

Basic Member
    Probably disassemble the extractor and make sure it, the ball and spring are good. Sounds like tension on the rim is lacking. Might try some American Ammo to see if it improves. You might try one of these Sharp Shooter Supply "PPC" extractor.

Team Savage
    Congratulations! You just picked up one of my favorite rifles of all time. I've had one for a couple years, and not only is it one of my favorites, but many of my friends COVET that rifle and have tried to buy it from me. It's the most-shot rifle I have every time I take a group of friends to the gun range.

To answer your question - I replaced my extractor with one from Sharpshooter Supply and it fixed my problem. The factory Savage extractor isn't enough for the job.

If you want any reloading data for your rifle, I have literally TONS. Also, if you can get your hands on the Academy "Monarch" brand 123-grain hollow point ammo, my gun absolutely loves that stuff - to the point that I cannot handload a faster, more accurate round (which is saying a lot because my 7.62x39 scout is boringly accurate with anything I feed it). At $5.49/box, I can't even load a cheaper round.

I could go on and on about these rifles, but I will spare you. Good luck with yours!

Thanks, gents, sounds like the SSS kit will be worth a try; it's a cheap fix if it works.

I didn't even know they made this gun in x39 caliber. I had a .308 Scout for years, loved it, but sold it when I eventually got my hands on a Steyr. When this one in x39 came up locally it took me about 10 seconds to make the call and buy it. I have no plans to reload for it, at least not until I work my way through a few cases of the milsurp stuff. I doubt I'll hunt with it either, but I do enjoy plinking with it.

Newtosavage, do you know of a source for aftermarket magazines for this gun? The previous owner told me that he had a difficult time locating spare mags for it; I have only two mags total, and I would love to find some 10-rounders if they exist. Any leads?

Funny, I once owned a bunch of Savages, but recently sold off most of my collection of guns (getting to the point where there are more guns to shoot than there are years left to shoot them in...). I just discovered this site very recently; wish I'd found it years ago.

Team Savage
    ya they will shoot clover leafs all day.cheap and fun gun

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwm View Post
    Thanks, gents, sounds like the SSS kit will be worth a try; it's a cheap fix if it works.

I didn't even know they made this gun in x39 caliber. I had a .308 Scout for years, loved it, but sold it when I eventually got my hands on a Steyr. When this one in x39 came up locally it took me about 10 seconds to make the call and buy it. I have no plans to reload for it, at least not until I work my way through a few cases of the milsurp stuff. I doubt I'll hunt with it either, but I do enjoy plinking with it.

Newtosavage, do you know of a source for aftermarket magazines for this gun? The previous owner told me that he had a difficult time locating spare mags for it; I have only two mags total, and I would love to find some 10-rounders if they exist. Any leads?

Funny, I once owned a bunch of Savages, but recently sold off most of my collection of guns (getting to the point where there are more guns to shoot than there are years left to shoot them in...). I just discovered this site very recently; wish I'd found it years ago.
    I know there was a guy who was modifying Axis style mags to accept 10 rds, but I don't recall who that was now. Maybe someone will chime in.

I have four mags for my 7.62x39 scout. They only hold three rounds (four with the .223 they were originally designed for) but I've never really found a need for higher capacity magazines. I just throw a spare in my pocket if I think I'm going to get into a pack of pigs, and they are quick enough to swap out.

I didn't think I'd handload for my 7.62x39 either. I didn't for quite a while and it still isn't easy to justify considering how accurately that rifle slings cheap steel case ammo. But once I started reloading, I realized all a person can do with that round, using the right powders and heavier bullets.

These days, I'm getting 2250 fps. with 160 grain FTX bullets, or 165 SST's. Run the ballistics on that and it's a pretty impressive whitetail caliber.

Are you using .223 mags successfully in that rifle? That's good info; all the gunshops I contacted told me no, I had to have the correct magazine, and finding the spare one I have was like a quest for the Holy Grail. The .223 ones are all over the place, but the packaging doesn't mention 7.62x39; maybe that's just because they no longer chamber that round?

I'm also not a high-cap mag guy, but the 3 rounds is a little too limiting, especially since I am just plinking and target shooting. Even a 5-rounder would be preferable.

You'll never tempt me to reload for this gun. I reload because it's cheaper per shot, and because I like some older guns for which finding ammo is difficult...but I'm not one of those people who actually enjoys it; not even a little bit! I'd much rather be shooting. Rather than trying to turn the x39 into a .308...I'll just use a .308. :)

Basic Member
    I have been known to pull the FMJ bullet and replace it with the Hornady 123 gr soft point. Makes a pretty decent hunting round.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwm View Post
    Are you using .223 mags successfully in that rifle? That's good info; all the gunshops I contacted told me no, I had to have the correct magazine, and finding the spare one I have was like a quest for the Holy Grail. The .223 ones are all over the place, but the packaging doesn't mention 7.62x39; maybe that's just because they no longer chamber that round?

I'm also not a high-cap mag guy, but the 3 rounds is a little too limiting, especially since I am just plinking and target shooting. Even a 5-rounder would be preferable.

You'll never tempt me to reload for this gun. I reload because it's cheaper per shot, and because I like some older guns for which finding ammo is difficult...but I'm not one of those people who actually enjoys it; not even a little bit! I'd much rather be shooting. Rather than trying to turn the x39 into a .308...I'll just use a .308. :)
    You just have to bend out the feed lips a hair with a pair of pliers. Takes literally 5 seconds to do. Then BAM - a .223 mag becomes a 7.62x39 mag.

As for reloading, like I said - it's hard to justify. However, when a young friend of mine who is new to shooting expressed interest in hunting deer, my 7.62x39 bolt action was perfect for the job. They could practice all day on cheap steel case ammo, and then use a 160-grain FTX handload to hunt. The results were perfect.