Thread: B.mag ups and downs

Basic Member

B.mag ups and downs

I was really excited about the BMAG when they first came out.
    I live in Special Regs area and it's the perfect fox gun.
    With all that happened.....I decided to hold off.

So......fast forward to Feb 2018, I bought a HB SS synthetic stock. I looked at a few of them to be sure there was no stock issue. The one I bought is perfectly straight down the middle of the fore end.
    Turns out....it shoots GREAT.....I was totally happy.

The bad....I couldnt leave well enough alone.....I bought a swanky new Sky Blue Boyds At One stock....it looks great except.....it rides hard down the left side.
    I might be able to sand it or open up the hole for the front action screw and fix things bedding it but......it's brand new, kind of expensive and I don't want to take a chance of ruining it.

Emailed Boyd's on Saturday.....hopefully I hear back from them.

Basic Member
    They were cool.
    Suggested I open up the barrel channel a bit.

Basic Member

Boyds Bmag stock

I put mine in an early Boyds thumbhole laminated stock. The fit was tight which required me to open up the barrel channel by wrapping sandpaper around a dowel rod and sanding the channel. I also had to open up the mag well a bit and remove some material which was fouling the safety preventing it from working smoothly. This took about a week of trial and error since I did not want to go too fast. In the end it fit perfect and I glass bedded the action in the stock for good measure. This all combined to convert the pencil barrel B-mag from a cheapo looking toy rifle into a really sharp looking rimfire varmit rifle. It shoots the same as before which is fairly good as long as I keep the bore clean and do not shoot too many rounds too quickly. The thin profile bbl does heat up after about 4-6 rds in quick succession.

Mine shoots groups about the same as my Savage HB 17hmr. Both are sub MOA as long as it is not windy out. I was uber pleased with it. Savage soon started offering a HB version of the bmag in a Boyds stock and I am pretty sure that Boyds has refined their stock dimensions to prevent the issues that I had on this early production model. I have had my Bmag since fall of 2013 and the stock since early 2014 if I recall. I don't shoot it much since I have lots of rifles but it is my favorite varmint gun for coyotes and ground hogs out to about 250y. It is great fun to shoot. I have it topped off with a 6-24x scope. I posted a 200y tgt. The blocks are 1" and a pic of the rifle in its current form.

Irish