Thread: Savage 110BA 300 chambering and ejecting problems

Savage 110BA 300 chambering and ejecting problems

Im new to posting here but read the threads alot I have a Savage 110 BA in 300Win mag I bouhgt new great rifle until the other day at range it stop ejecting I figured it was the ejector spring. I took the blot face apart and the guide on the pin was broke and the spring was crushed. I fished the pieces out and called savage and had them send me a new spring and ejector pin replaced them now it still won't eject it leaves the spent case on top the magazine and when you clear the spent case and try to chamber another round in hangs on the lip on the crimp on neck and pushes it back and wrinkles it and sometimes it just seats the bullet really deep in the case I have never had issues with the rifle before and it does it with reloads and factory amno it usually does it on the first round and sometimes on the 2nd or 3rd round any help would be appreciated thanks

You have an extraction issue and possibly a magazine issue. You may be trying to work that thing too fast and pushing too hard on the bolt. Have you worked the feed lips on your magazine?

I haven't worked the feed lips on the mag. It does it with all 3 magazines 1 original mag and 2 accumag magazines.To me it doesn't seem to have a exraction issue because it pulls the case out but does not eject do you think I should change the extractor? I will try working the mag lips today and post what outcome is thanks

When you depress the ejector does the ejector pin have sufficient spring tension on it? Does the extractor move back around on the detent ball easily? How fast are you cycling the action when you wrinkle the case or push the bullet in?

I haven't worked the feed lips on the mag. It does it with all 3 magazines 1 original mag and 2 accumag magazines.To me it doesn't seem to have a exraction issue because it pulls the case out but does not eject do you think I should change the extractor? I will try working the mag lips today and post what outcome is thanks

Yes it takes quite a bit pressure i cant push it in with my finger and i could before replacing it the spring and ejector the extractor does move around and takes a bit of pressure to push it down to get it to move i used to just cycle the bolt but since i started have trouble i tried it fast and slow if i wiggle the bolt while slowly chambering a round it will hangup a little then chamber the round I'm going to try working the mag lips and i read some wear that sharp shooters supply has a 110 extractor and ejector kit. Has anybody tried this upgrade?

Basic Member
    The ejector should be stiff, but not so stiff it won't depress with finger pressure. The extractor should be stiffer than you might think. I am often surprised it will function at all. It barely moves. Just slips over the rim when closing the bolt, then slides in front of it once passed. Sometimes the extractor breaks and therefore only pulls the cart out of the chamber, but releases it before "slinging" the spent case. Inspect the edge of the extractor to be sure it does not have a chip knocked out of one corner. It's width needs to be consistent along its whole length.

The Sharpshooter upgrade is a good item but it worked fine up until some point. Before you start throwing money at it take some time and look closely at what and when things happen. When does the case fall off of the extractor? Is the extractor assembly damaged? Clean? Somebody on here will chime in with more recent experience than me good luck.

The SSS kit is good. But I’m not entirely clear just exactly what problems you are experiencing. If you manually insert one into the chamber does it work properly? And then eject? Try feeding it slowly from the magazine and see where it seems to be having difficulties.

Ok I hope I can answer all y'alls questions and thanks for the tremendous amount of feed back. Now the problem of wrinkling the neck I think I have stopped by pinching the mag lips a little bit as Robinhood suggested. I shot 20 shots and no feed problems but the ejection problem still persists it extracts the spent cartridge and leaves it on top of mag. Today I watched it carefully as I worked the bolt slowly and the cartridge starts cocking outwardly as soon as it leaves the chamber and scrapes the picatinny rail on the side of rifle and just when its about to clear the rail the extractor lets go of cartridge and the bolt still has about a inch and half to go before its all the way back. I dont know if it has always scraped the rail I never really watched it extract and eject the extractor doesn't look broken or chipped it does move up and down and side to side with my finger and it does take a little bit of force to do that. The ejector I cant push with my finger but using a punch to push up and down it does move freely

Basic Member
    Try taking the extractor out, clean the extractor/detent ball/spring. Then put some gun oil on it. Not a ton just some and reassemble. Inspect the edges of the extractor groves where it slides in the bolt and make sure there's no burs.

Disassemble in a sandwich bag or the spring under the detent ball will send it flying across the room

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    Try taking the extractor out, clean the extractor/detent ball/spring. Then put some gun oil on it. Not a ton just some and reassemble. Inspect the edges of the extractor groves where it slides in the bolt and make sure there's no burs.

Disassemble in a sandwich bag or the spring under the detent ball will send it flying across the room
    +1
    With some Savages extractors last literally hundreds of rounds, on others I have found the extractor lasting only 50-75 rounds. Cleaning all 3 parts and the bolt head might give you a few more. Normally I buy them 3 or 4 at a time and keep them in the parts box. When hunting out west I bring a couple extras and the spring & ball. Always disassemble in a zip lock like was said. the .140 oversize ball may help.
    Good Luck,
    Randy

Basic Member
    I will note all my detent balls get replaced to the .140 ones. I had 2 action with the above problem. One was fixed with this method, but ended up doing the same thing a decent amount of rounds later. Second one I did same thing but installed the larger ball right away. The larger detent ball fixed both and haven't had an issue since. But pulling out and cleaning/inspecting is a good start.

When I had the odd ejection issue it ended up being the extractor. It was a bit worn out underneath and swapping to a new extractor fixed the problem. Ejector and spring were fine.

The extractor lost some tension due to wear. I thought the ejector and spring were the problem too but that wasn't the case.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    When I had the odd ejection issue it ended up being the extractor. It was a bit worn out underneath and swapping to a new extractor fixed the problem. Ejector and spring were fine.

The extractor lost some tension due to wear. I thought the ejector and spring were the problem too but that wasn't the case.
    I re-read my post. Wrote "ejector" when my mind said extractor. I fixed it and hope all the ejectors are sold out now (lol).
    My bad.
    Yes problems usually lie with the extractor.

randy

Quote Originally Posted by M144ME View Post
    Today I watched it carefully as I worked the bolt slowly and the cartridge starts cocking outwardly as soon as it leaves the chamber and scrapes the picatinny rail on the side of rifle and just when its about to clear the rail the extractor lets go of cartridge and the bolt still has about a inch and half to go before its all the way back. I dont know if it has always scraped the rail I never really watched it extract and eject the extractor doesn't look broken or chipped it does move up and down and side to side with my finger and it does take a little bit of force to do that.
    I have never seen this happen. But I've never seen a picatinny on the side of a bolt rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    +1
    With some Savages ejectors last literally hundreds of rounds, on others I have found the extractor lasting only 50-75 rounds. Cleaning all 3 parts and the bolt head might give you a few more. Normally I buy them 3 or 4 at a time and keep them in the parts box. When hunting out west I bring a couple extras and the spring & ball. Always disassemble in a zip lock like was said. the .140 oversize ball may help.
    Good Luck,
    Randy
    Really? As a relative newcomer to Savage, that's kind of discouraging to know. All my other weapons (rifles too) have literally several thousand rounds each through them and I've yet to have to replace any extractors yet. I was just set to start a new thread on which 110 action to buy next, but after reading this it kind of gives me pause. Please tell me this isn't true.

Extractor/ejector is a definitive weak spot, however I think those numbers are a bit over the top. I would bet that they average much higher closer to the thousands. Just my expierence. The extractor is cheap and simple to replace so having a couple spares around isn’t a big deal for me. The ejector is a little more work but again not terrible. If you’re looking for the ultimate in reliability you need a control feed Mauser pattern action with claw extraction.

Thanks for the feedback Rusty. I can easily shoot 100 rds in my bolt action(s) in a day at the range, several hundred in each of my autos esp my AR15, Mini-14 or 1911. I surely hope my 16 Trophy Hunter .308 bolt's extractor/ejector will last more than 3-4 trips to the range.

But good points on picking up and keeping a couple spares of each just in case.

I can also send a pretty decent number down range in a day. Thus far I’ve had one ejector spring failure, and one brand spankin new rifle that wouldn’t eject to save its life. I replaced the offending parts and haven’t had an issue from anything. The rifle that had the failed ejector spring was a second hand well used rifle so there isn’t any telling how many rounds it saw before failure.