Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New MSR15 Valkyrie shoots terrible

New MSR15 Valkyrie shoots terrible

I'm getting 4 to 5 inch groups @ 100 yards with the American Eagle stuff. Any body else having problems with this ammo? 1 in 7 twist, 18" barrel, 75 grain bullet.

Basic Member
    Just to be clear, this is in a Savage MSR? How many rounds through the gun? How does it shoot with other factor loads?

What is your experience level? Are you using a front rest? Off a bench? Brand and model of scope..... yada yada.

MSR 15 Recon LRP, Vortex PST scope, off the bench, rested front and rear, lots of experience, probably 80 rounds through it, no other ammo tried. I was mostly wondering if the ammo was junk.

Then you know that 12 dollar a box ammo is hit or miss. Try some FGMM

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...1-p-78462.aspx

Basic Member
    5'' group does raise some flags. Let us know how it shoots some good stuff.

Basic Member
    When Savage makes that rifle with a 1:6, 1:6.5, I will consider it. 1:7 should be fine for the lighter bullets. Try other brands with different weight. Should be able to find a sweet spot. Was going to get there 6.5cm but waiting on this caliber to get the kinks out.

There are no other brands. Only different weights.

Basic Member

First try some different ammo to rule that out since it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do. After that I would recommend trying a different scope on the rifle. 5" groups @ 100 is typically a result of a bad scope that's not holding zero or something loose in the mounts.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    First try some different ammo to rule that out since it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do. After that I would recommend trying a different scope on the rifle. 5" groups @ 100 is typically a result of a bad scope that's not holding zero or something loose in the mounts.
    Agree. A good rifle will shoot junk ammo into an inch and a half.

Basic Member
    OP,

I would also try the 60gr varmint load for testing. I've seen some pretty impressive groups with that round as well.

I put a different scope and rings on it yesterday. It is a weaver T 36 and a good scope. Although the wrong scope for this gun, I know it to work fine, but my groups did not improve. I have some of the SMK 90 grain coming but I wonder if that bullet is not too heavy for this gun. I hope to get out this coming Friday or Sunday for results, so time will tell.

This is way off topic, but while I was trying to get this gun to shoot yesterday, I struck up a conversation with a gentleman shooting a Sharps. He invited me to give it a try so I did and shot it twice. I hit the 10 ring at 100 yards using an aperture sight so I was happy. What a cool rifle

Basic Member
    Loose barrel nut perhaps?

IF it were mine I would tear it completely down and reassemble checking everything as I go. 1:7 might be too slow for those bullets though.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    I doubt it's the 7 twist.... I have plenty of buddy's running 7 twist with 75grs projs. in a standard 223... I would check everything over and try a different optic.... if that didn't work I'd send it to savage or order a new barrel from XCaliber or other reputable manufacturer...

For those who didn't read all the posts including the first one, It is a 1 in 7 twist, and I already swapped scopes. I don't think a 1 in 7 twist would be too slow. Do they come any faster?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfhall11 View Post
    For those who didn't read all the posts including the first one, It is a 1 in 7 twist, and I already swapped scopes. I don't think a 1 in 7 twist would be too slow. Do they come any faster?
    i have the other model. i would check the following; clean the barrel if you have not, get the 90 grain federal match, ensure everything is tight etc, and if you have a bipod on a rail, make sure your mlok rail screws are not touching the barrel. i have found that the distance between the handguard and the barrel is minimal, and some mlok rail screws are long and will touch the barrel. if all that is good give it another try on bags, 50 yards then 100 yards, and with a secondary shooter. after that, send back to savage.

Good advice. Got the 90 grain SMKs coming tomorrow. No bipod--rest with leather bag. No need for a secondary shooter. I have shot houseflies at 50 yards with my Anschutz MPR. I know what I'm doing. This problem is either the rifle, or ammo, or a combo. Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfhall11 View Post
    Good advice. Got the 90 grain SMKs coming tomorrow. No bipod--rest with leather bag. No need for a secondary shooter. I have shot houseflies at 50 yards with my Anschutz MPR. I know what I'm doing. This problem is either the rifle, or ammo, or a combo. Thanks

let us know how it turns out. good luck.

Well...good ammo didn't help this turd of a gun. I ship it back to Savage tomorrow

Damn, 224 is letting my hopes down. Many guys are having group issues

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntjake912 View Post
    Damn, 224 is letting my hopes down. Many guys are having group issues
    I don't think the 224 is the issue... I'd lean on the platform.. Savage has never built AR's before and I expected them to be hit or miss off that start. Hopefully, they can get the bugs worked out...

New Valkyrie shoots terrible

I’ve seen 4 builds. All different barrels. 2 ARs and 2 Bolt platforms. Only 1 of the bolt platforms would hold a subMOA group. I think it needs more twist rate, I’m guessing. Savage makes an excellent AR15, I’ve shot about 40 rounds threw a MSR Hunter, in 223. I don’t buy they have bugs in an AR style gun, it’s simple and they have the precision and R&D to easily make a semi auto.

I’m excited for the 224 to get worked out and dialed in. It has the potential to be my next coyote AR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast