Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New MSR15 Valkyrie shoots terrible

When you say "more twist" what do you mean? It has a 1 in 7 which is about as "more" as you can get. Maybe the barrel needs to be longer? Anyway If I'm going to shoot this Long Range, as the LRP would have you believe, it's gonna have to shoot better than it does. I'm already let down by this gun, and now I had to pay $40 to ship it back. I sure hope they find something wrong.

They'll send it back to you with a group from some factory load that shott 2" at 75 yards and say nothing is wrong.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

I hope that's not the case. A 2" group at 75 yards would be considered very wrong to me. I'm may be overly optimistic, but I expect Savage Arms to stand behind their products.

If this gun doesn't shoot better when I get it back, I will consider myself to be ripped-off--sell it---and be done with new Savages. That would be a shame because I am a good customer.

I also have a Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor which will get 100% of my attention for long range stuff. I won't be without.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miscverb View Post
    i have the other model. i would check the following; clean the barrel if you have not, get the 90 grain federal match, ensure everything is tight etc, and if you have a bipod on a rail, make sure your mlok rail screws are not touching the barrel. i have found that the distance between the handguard and the barrel is minimal, and some mlok rail screws are long and will touch the barrel. if all that is good give it another try on bags, 50 yards then 100 yards, and with a secondary shooter. after that, send back to savage.

The above is exactly the course of action I would take. Good luck with the gun!!

Same here

I have the same problem as the OP. Brand new .224 recon LRP ... groups of Fed AE 75gr. are 4-5 inches, sometimes better. To test I took my Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CDM with me ... bang ... .75 MOA off the same rest ... I would post pics here of the groups if the forum would have the option. I ordered some Fed. Sierra Matching 90 gr to see if they shoot better. If not Savage can have this rifle back!

Basic Member
    What does the bore look like?

Quote Originally Posted by WillysWheeler View Post
    I have the same problem as the OP. Brand new .224 recon LRP ... groups of Fed AE 75gr. are 4-5 inches, sometimes better. To test I took my Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CDM with me ... bang ... .75 MOA off the same rest ... I would post pics here of the groups if the forum would have the option. I ordered some Fed. Sierra Matching 90 gr to see if they shoot better. If not Savage can have this rifle back!
    Definitely come back here with your results please.

Thumbs Down

Quote Originally Posted by rfhall11 View Post
    Definitely come back here with your results please.
    Got tons of groups on paper ... just can't attach pics here ..

Good or bad?

I've not been having the same issues as you guys have, although I haven't shot any of the 75 grain loads either. I've shot only the 90g MK's and 90g Fusions, and had good luck with both as far as accuracy. I've shot it with temperature in the 30's, and in the mid 80's so far. At about 60 degrees the factory FGMM is running right around 2600 fps out of the 18", my handholds at the same temp are running about 52 fps faster. I shot a 7 shot group with the handloads the other day that measured right around 1.5" spread at 200 yards. Also shot a group at 520 yards that had a spread of 4.875". I don't believe that the 1:7 twist is your issue with the 75's. The only problems I've had with any of the factory ammo was from the first case of FGMM that I bought was blowing primers, the second case, I've had no issues with pressure and I've been through about 160 rounds of those.

Basic Member
    Don’t think we will know until the new barrels with 6.5 or 6 twist comes out. That will tell the tail.

Been gone for a month now and no repair in sight.
    Last edited by rfhall11; 04-27-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Rant

Junk, Savages are the lowest form of a firearm next to highpoint. I will give you 250 for it. you pay shipping.

Well, Savage worked with me after I expressed my disappointment and frustration. They are sending me a brand spankin new 12 F/TR in .223. It's more my style of gun anyway. I's an upgrade at no cost to me. They have redeemed themselves (as long as I get this gun in the next few weeks) so no more hard feelings and lesson learned.

So, even though the OP has switched platforms, I can weigh in here on the accuracy concerns. I have shot at least 40 rounds of each of the four types of the 224V ammo offered by Federal, including the American Eagle. This is all bench shooting, front bipod and rear bag, good optics, and an experienced shooter. Granted, it is a bolt gun, but I can shoot 10-shot sub MOA groups @ 100 yards with my 12BVSS chambered in 223.

By far, the best grouping rounds @ 100 yards are the 60gr Varmint rounds, showing MOA or better potential. The American Eagles do not shoot nearly as well and IMO are just for fun, and another way to get Valkyrie reloading brass which is difficult to find right now. The groups are much larger with both of the 90 grain bullets as well.

I am interested in shooting the 224V at longer distances. So I plan on handloading and ladder/group shooting with 75gr Hornady ELD bullets and Berger 80gr match bullets to see if I can get better performance with a heavier round than the 60gr. From what I have read so far, a 1:7 twist should be able to stabilize either of these with ease.

Funny thing, it seems to also be pretty difficult to find anyone who has AR15 224V barrels faster than a 1:7 twist since most of the barrel providers are out of stock. It is also hard to find the Hornady ELD bullets (not ammo) in 75gr or 80gr, so I think there are several others out there who want to try the same thing :)

Looks like Ballistic Advantage will be putting one out if they already haven't.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Hornady just came out with an 88gr ELD in .224 which is the same bullet they will be using in their 224V Match factory ammo. I ordered some of the bullets and plan on trying those out next (hand loading). The slightly lower mass may help with shooting in the 1:7 twist over the Sierra 90 gr BTHP. The Hornady 88gr BC is really good for its size.

So I have 200 rounds of new Starline 224V brass, 75gr Hornady ELDs, 80gr Noslers, and 88 gr Hornady ELDs. I am going to load some ladders using Alliant RE 17 and see what happens. It may take a few weeks but I will report back with results.

To the OP, you and I are in the same boat. I just posted a new thread detailing my issues. I'd love to compare notes with you.

See post #39. Gun is gone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12