Thread: Switching from 7mm Remington Magnum to 338 Lapua

Question Switching from 7mm Remington Magnum to 338 Lapua

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a Model 111 in 7mm RM, I'm interested in swapping the rifle over to 338LM. I know the bolt face will have to be changed, is there anything else I should prepare myself to be ready to change?

Basic Member
    Don't do it.
    This is not a conversion that's wise to do even on a standard LA magnum receiver.
    Savage (and Remington, others) use different actions for the .338 LM which are designed to handle the very high bolt thrust generated by this cartridge. No doubt, there will be those that will say they've done it, or know someone who has...it's your head behind the bolt. The manufacturer says it's an unsafe conversion.

In fact had a conversation with Jim at NSS about a year ago, customer wanted a custom .338 LM and this is what I was told...and Savage does not allow their .338 LM actions to be sold by Dealers, either so they're non-obtainuim unless you buy a used rifle.

Well crap...thanks for the advice.

Basic Member
    If I were going to go with an extended long range rig, I would look at the 7mm practical, or 7mm-300 win mag. Brass is much more plentiful.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

The 7mm-300 is a cartridge that should have been a standard. Something beltless with the same capacity, even better.

+1 for the 7 Practical. I have one and its easy to load for and with the 195 bergers I get 3045 fps out of a 28" 8 twist.

The 33 Nosler would be a good/safe option if you wanted a repeater.

Single shot, you could go up to 338RUM or 338Edge and match/exceed the performance of the Lapua.

.338 Edge might be a good alternative. (.338/300RUM)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Just do a 338 Remington ultra magnum. Ballistics are very close. Savage did do some of those. Use the large long action.

Looks like I'm going with 300 NORMA. Thanks for your help folks!!

Quote Originally Posted by MPAChassisman View Post
    Looks like I'm going with 300 NORMA. Thanks for your help folks!!
    Hate to be a buzzkill, but the 300 Norma has the same rim diameter as the Lapua. Too big for a non-Lapua Savage action.

The anything that uses the 0.532" rim diameter is generally considered safe in the regular Savage action.

The RUM based rounds are going to be about as big as you can safely use in the Savage. Nosler magnums are going to be the easiest big magnums for the Savage.

.330 Dakota? But that's .545" rim diameter.

I like the numbers on this one.

But I'd go with the .338 RUM for ease and safety.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Or the .338 Edge (300RUM necked up to .338) which offers slightly more case capacity that the .338RUM. It has some pretty stout numbers behind it as well if you're into that sort of thing.
    Probably the most successful/popular/easy magnum to bigger magnum conversions, it wouldn't take much to make this work and it has been done on magnum actions from several manufacturers quite a bit.

On the other hand Savage has several factory models ready to rock chambered in .338 Lapua if you just have to have one including the Long range hunter, Magnum target, Stealth, Stealth evolution, and the FCP HS precision. You could probably buy one ready to thunder for what you'd spend tinkering or less. Especially since they can be had for well under the manufacturers MSRP. About 900-1200 on the big auction site depending on which model you want. It would most likely be the big magnum caliber for which off the shelf ammo, components, dies would be most readily available.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Just finishing my 110 CL rebarrel in 25-06; 26 inch Columbia River (Black Hole) barrel. My next project is going to be 33 Nosler as soon as I can find another 110 CL donor. No doubt it will be small shank and once again a Columbia River barrel, 26 or if they will do a special for me a 28 inch. Love those polygonal barrels I have six of them so far and they are all extremely accurate. With the 33 Nosler I can either get a new bolt head or turn a magnum head out the .002 which unlike a lapua leaves plenty of material. With the performance that the 33 Nosler gets I see no reason to go for either a lapua or RUM but I will invest heavily in a muzzle brake for sure. Just to keep my 75 year old shoulder happy. Other than gun broker where does a guy look for donors?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Other than gun broker where does a guy look for donors?
    Pawn shops...
    Depending where you live, if FTF sales are allowed sans 4473 transfer (as they are in FL) local classifieds- Armslist, etc.

Basic Member
    What do you plan on doing with a 338LM? Perhaps this can help us better advise a cartridge.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I visit the pawn shops monthly, it is not a good place for me to go, while looking for that left handed 110 CL I always find something else I just can't live without. Much like a kid in a candy store.