Thread: Barrel nut not loosening enough

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Barrel nut not loosening enough

Hi all....long time lurker, first time poster.

BLUF: Barrel nut will not screw "onto" the barrel far enough to allow the key in the recoil lug to disengage from the receiver.

So, I have a Model 12 LRPV right bolt handle, left eject, single shot, large shank, barrel nut with square...splines? IDK....

I got it used in .223, 1:7, but I want to up it to 6.5 Creedmoor. Therefore, barrel change is necessary, and so is the bolt head. So far so good?

I acquired or have all the necessary tools:
    Wheeler barrel vice with oak inserts on secure mount. I made an oak insert with a 1 1/8" bit, the closest I have to the heavy contoured barrel.
    Wheeler barrel wrench
    Breaker bar
    2lb sledge
    rosin core solder (for friction)
    PB Blaster
    GO and NOGO gauges.

I popped it out of the stock, took it down to a barreled action, and then got it all set up in a vise.
    I was able to easily get the nut popped loose, and was able to screw it about a turn and a half onto the barrel and away from the recoil lug/receiver.
    This is where I ran into a problem.

I cannot screw the nut onto the barrel far enough to allow the receiver to spin off.
    I've almost broken the teeth off the wrench, but I am getting nowhere fast.
    A torch has not loosened up things, and I have it soaking in PB Blaster right now.

Any others have this problem? Any ideas? I'd rather not saw off the nut, but at this point, if it is giving me this much of an issue, I am wondering if I should even reinstall it along with the new barrel.

###Solved###

The reason the nut couldn't thread up anymore was that it was simply not able to, nor designed to.
    The action was held in place by a damaged thread from a scope base screw, and it took more effort to remove it with a strap wrench.
    The problem could have been avoided in the first place if I simply loosened the barrel nut slightly, then started to crank off the action.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by Joseph007; 03-18-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Problem Solved