Thread: What to use for dye?

Basic Member

What to use for dye?

I ran out of dye in my Miles Gilbert bedding kit. Will food coloring work or what have you used?
    Thanks,
    Jason

BillPa

Re: What to use for dye?

Quote Originally Posted by SCHROEDER
    I ran out of dye in my Miles Gilbert bedding kit. Will food coloring work or what have you used?
    Thanks,
    Jason
    From what I understand adding anything to bedding materials, Acraglass, Devcon and etc isn't recommended unless its specifically made for that purpose, something about degrading the properties of the goop. Brownell sells both brown and black pigment( in a paste and powdered form) for AG that may work, but you would have to check to see if it would be compatible with the Gilbert.

In the past I've touched them up with paint matched as close as I could to the action or stock when using Devcon F-F2 aluminum. When doing painted stocks I bedded then first then painted to the edge of the bedding. With wood stocks you can get a real close match that's not noticeable unless you point it out.

In any case you would most likely need to order somethng anyway, so you may as well get the right stuff.

Bill

Basic Member

If you want I have the black and brown dye that comes with the acraglass gel bedding kit send me a pm and I will mail it out to you if you want it

Basic Member

Thanks for the offer, but i went ahead and bedded it without dye. Hopefully I won't be able to see any of the bedding with the action on.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Harriershot

I like seeing the edge of the Devcon where it meets the action. It shows that you have done a good job or not.

Charlie