Thread: Pelican 1750 Rifle Case- Any tips for cutting it out for your rifle???

Basic Member

Pelican 1750 Rifle Case- Any tips for cutting it out for your rifle???

I just got a Pelican 1750 Rifle case for my new 6mmbrx. Does anyone have any tips for cutting out the template for your rifle and bolt other then running a box knife along the stock, etc??? I guess u need to leave some foam at the bottom so the rifle isnt' touching the plastic case, etc. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. I get one shot at this!

Re: Pelican 1750 Rifle Case- Any tips for cutting it out for your rifle???

you could run a colored marker or similar around the gun and parts to outline them. Would be alot better than a knife.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

I just make a cardboard stensil of the rifle,then cut out the foam with a razor blade.After you cut it out,then just split the cutout in half,and put half of it back into the hole.You can use glue or tape to secure it back in the cutout.

An electric knife works great for this also!

trace out a shape on cardboard then position cut out in case. cut foam around cardboard.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Makes sense, thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
    I just make a cardboard stensil of the rifle,then cut out the foam with a razor blade.After you cut it out,then just split the cutout in half,and put half of it back into the hole.You can use glue or tape to secure it back in the cutout.

An electric knife works great for this also!
    That's pretty much how I did mine. Outlined it with a marker. Took the foam out and split it in half with the electric knife. Put half the foam back in the case, nice side up. Used the electric knife to cut the outline out. Worked great, looks awesome. The only problem is since then, I've put on a longer barrel and it won't fit in the case anymore. :'(

Sorry, don't have a better picture. This was my 112FLVSS with a Stockade Pdog.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8000473.jpg[/img]

The fun part was, the kids loved to play guns with the leftover cut-outs. I used toothpicks and glue to mound the "scopes" on the "guns"
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

If you really want to go nuts, give this a try:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695

I should add that after studying this for a month, and collecting parts to build the cutter, I ended up using cardboard templates and a really sharp filet knife. ;D

Nefarioud

Quote Originally Posted by knight_dive
    If you really want to go nuts, give this a try:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695

Great device! Worked in Plastics for a long while and these are invaluable.

xr650rRider

I built one using a battery charger and light dimmer for input voltage control. Worked well.

RKG

Go to Home Depot and buy one of those knifes with the blade that slides out and can be broken off for a new tip. They are very thin and quite sharp.

Lay the rifle on the foam and outline, either with chalk or a "white" marker. Remove rifle. Remove the inner (marked) layer of foam. The Home Depot knife will cut around the lines easily and neatly.

jonorato

I did what everyone else is saying except I used the rifle (and fixed scope) as a template, poked a hole in the foam with a knife over some cardboard, and cut along the line with kitchen scissors.

New gun owner at age 51, Savage 12 Series VLP .308. Zeiss optics. My first 150 rounds were in a poorly weighted sled, and I was able to do 5-round patterns about 2" at 100 yds and 6" at 200. Had a blast.

Can anyone direct me to a bipod forum around here? I have to learn to shoot it natural.

oldtimer48

i did the same thing pdog did used a marker and traced everything the way i wanted it to lay out in the case, and i to used a ultility knife that extends the blade out about 3-4" and cut about 1/2"inside of the lines for a snug fit, have fun and take your time john