Thread: Another Criterion Success Story

Another Criterion Success Story

I’ve had four Criterion Barrels, every one of them being better shooters than any other brand I’ve had. One of them was the heavy varmint contour, the other two light varmint contour. I observed that my light varmint .308 and 22-250 barrels grouped as well as my heavy varmint contour 6.5x47 barrel, so I thought for the 4th I’d try a light varmint 6.5x47 to see what’s up. It has not disappointed, grouping every bit as good as the heavy varmint contour.

Here’s two five shot groups shot during load development. They are consecutive charges .4gr apart. The first measured .356” and the second .346”. When I overlaid the aiming points, the ten shots completely overlapped, clustering 10 shots into .4”.

I’m thinking my next one might be the heavy sporter contour...

I love Criterion Barrels...

John

Basic Member
    Thanks for sharing. This is some great info and great shooting. Where did you order your Criterion's from? I'm looking to try one in the near future.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

More than likely it was Northland Shooter Supply. The only source for Criterion Savage Prefits that I know of.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    More than likely it was Northland Shooter Supply. The only source for Criterion Savage Prefits that I know of.
    Thanks Robinhood. I've read about NSS. Just curious if you knew of a different distributor.

You can go directly to Criterion but they are a little more costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. This is some great info and great shooting. Where did you order your Criterion's from? I'm looking to try one in the near future.

I got all my Criterions from Northland Shooters Supply.

John

I've got 3 CBI barrels over the past few years and every one of them have been at least a .5 MOA shooter... when I got my first barrel I had researched the prefits... I eventually decided on the CBI for one simple reason....

They were the OEM manufacturer for KREIGER! I heard that they aren't PART of KREIGER anymore, but I can tell you that the quality they had on the first one I got, Holds true on the last one I bot only 6-8 months ago.

I've thought about buying a Shilen a couple times , just to see if they are any better.... But I keep hearing my Dad's voice of wisdom in the back of my head.... "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"... To be honest, the barrel is more accurate then I will ever be...

Hondo, I am currently planning to change ny .308 over to 6.5 Creedmoor with a Criterion heavy varmint barrel.
    What stock are you running.
    I have been on the boyds sight a few times and am having a hard time figuring out correct barrel channel configuration.
    The customer service was not much help either even after I sent them the Criterion info on the barrel.
    The response basically that it was up to the customer to verify the correct specs

For a Heavy Varmint Barrel, you will have to look at the Pro Varmint, Thumbhole Varmint, or Featherweight Thumbhole. The AT-One could be used if they offer it in the BBC (Bull barrel channel). I personally have the Pro Varmint stock on my CBI .260 Rem Varmint barrel. For the PV you just have to sand the barrel channel with a wooden 5/8" dowel and sand paper.

My bad, actually I am looking at the Heavy sporter which is closer to the lt varmint

The Heavy Sporter will fit in any of the Boyd's stocks.... I actually have one that I stuck in the Prairie Hunter stock... Still have to sand the barrel channel a bit, but it fits no problem... When I shoot this barrel out, I will be moving to the Light Varmint for it though. It has a straighter taper on it, so it may not heat up quite as fast in the PD fields.

Good to know, thanks.

Basic Member
    I gotta talk to them on Monday. I want to go from 6.5 CM to a 22 CM
    #10 G.I. Vietnam. You got anymore ammo?