Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axis II XP

Came across an Axis XP II in hardwood today new at Smokey Mountain for 329 shipped plus a 60 dollar rebate. Comes with a basic 3-9x40 scope.

Been wanting a creedmoor for a while. Been wanting something hardwood too. Seems like a great deal. Dont expect a lot out of it beyond 500 yards but my first bolt action was a savage in 223. Got rid of it for an AR. Should have kept it.

I cant help but think the hardwood stock is better than the flimsy complaints in synthetic I have read..

Good deal? Should I grab it. I can always throw a better scope up there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbonadio View Post
    Came across an Axis XP II in hardwood today new at Smokey Mountain for 329 shipped plus a 60 dollar rebate. Comes with a basic 3-9x40 scope.

Been wanting a creedmoor for a while. Been wanting something hardwood too. Seems like a great deal. Dont expect a lot out of it beyond 500 yards but my first bolt action was a savage in 223. Got rid of it for an AR. Should have kept it.

I cant help but think the hardwood stock is better than the flimsy complaints in synthetic I have read..

Good deal? Should I grab it. I can always throw a better scope up there.
    What do you plan to use it for? I have a regular Axis with the plastic stock and it is just fine. The 6.5 works well with the proper ammo and shot placement well past 500 yards. I was helping a buddy on his elk hunt two weeks ago and after he shot his elk with his 7Mag another one popped out in the distance. We called over another hunter who had a tag, ranged the bull at 885 yards. He lay prone and adjusted his scope, high end Leupold, and put a 147gr Hornady into the heart. Bull went 30 feet and was done.

400-600 yard target shooting. I dont hunt.

Basic Member
    My Walmart special Axis can routinely shoot .5" groups at 100yd (.223). 1.5" groups at 300yd. Shot it at 400yd with 77gn Matchkings. Just over 2" group. I am going to be trying it out at 600yd to see what it will do.

I have a Model 12 as well. It shoots as well as the Axis but not better (.308). The bolt is smoother on the 12 but I can't deny the Axis is capable of being a very good shooter.

When my Axis started showing potential I went out and got a Boyd's stock for it, just because I wanted something prettier than the camo plastic. It improved my shooting a bit since it added some weight. Could have just added weight to the camo stock but it still would have been 'ugly' :) Since I wanted to go longer ranges I treated myself to a new scope for Christmas, a Vortex 4-16x.

If I were to look for a new rifle it would be another Savage. Unless there was a really good deal on a 10/11/12 out there I'd probably get another Axis with a heavy barrel.

Basic Member
    Here's another option for the HB Axis II.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/165269

Basic Member
    Did not notice if that wood stock axis has a heavy barrel or not. To me a std contour barrel is a deal breaker.

Basic Member
    Here's mine dressed up in a boyds stock. Shoots good.

Basic Member
    Great looking rifle. I was thinking about buying a Tikka in 223 but this Axis thread has me thinking better.

Basic Member
    This particular model with the hb is diamond in the rough. Another one is the 12 fv from bass pro and cabelas. Two major points on each. The fv has a 26" barrel or 24 maybe...which means heavier....vs the 22" axis. And the mag catch on the stock axis is flimsy.

Other than that....decent factory barrel and an excellent factory trigger...They are hard to beat and leave you $$$ leftover vs what I've seen tikkas go for.

Mine ran...

$265 for the rifle
    $174 for the boyds with a metal trigger guard
    $149 for cdi bottom metal

And the desert tactical model is is another great option they just rolled out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12