Thread: Need help picking a stock

Need help picking a stock

Hey Guys I'm needing help picking a stock for my new build. I'm looking at either a boyd pro varmint hunter or the Choate tactical stock. I know the Choate has a full aluminum bed which is a plus but kinda like the way the laminate stocks look. My build is a savage 110 action with a 24" ss match Criterion lite varmint barrel.

Basic Member
    I went through a long decision process and finally landed on Choate Tactical due to the full length aluminum bedding block. I'm not going to be carrying the rifle through the woods, mainly table and prone shooting, so the weight of the Choate wasn't a factor. I also wanted to gain detachable box magazine so I ordered the Choate Tactical from EABCO dot com with the CDI bottom metal already installed.

I love my Pro Varmint Stock. Mine is the Coyote Laminate and looks dang sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I love my Pro Varmint Stock. Mine is the Coyote Laminate and looks dang sharp.
    That’s the color I’m looking at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t intend on hunting with this one just bench shooting. I want to build another hunting rig after this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I don’t intend on hunting with this one just bench shooting. I want to build another hunting rig after this one.

Then the Pro Varmint is a perfect stock for doing that. I got mine because I shoot prone or off a bench. Although I would still carry it in the field if I had to. It's not the lightest stock, but it is very comfortable to shoot.
    They are rather slippery when they get wet (All Boyd's stocks) so I recommend getting some stippling on the stock you intend to use for hunting.

Then the Pro Varmint is a perfect stock for doing that. I got mine because I shoot prone or off a bench. Although I would still carry it in the field if I had to. It's not the lightest stock, but it is very comfortable to shoot.
    They are rather slippery when they get wet (All Boyd's stocks) so I recommend getting some stippling on the stock you intend to use for hunting.
    Sage did you have to pillar or bed the boyds stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Sage did you have to pillar or bed the boyds stock?
    Yes, I have pillared my Pro Varmint, (260 Rem) but I have not had to Glass bed it "yet". I also have a Prairie Hunter stock on my (22-250) Axis which I've had to Pillar & Glass Bed. I'm a perfectionist though, so take that into consideration... I want them all in the same hole... I keep messing with stuff until I achieve that, or I've exhausted all possible options. Both of these rifles are my Long Range Rigs though... I use the 22-250 for Shooting SageRats @ 400+ yards and in... And the 260 I just built in the last year for ringing Steel @ 1000 yards or for larger Varmints, coyotes, fox etc...

Bottom line is: you will probably have to pillar at the least, (maybe after 5-6 months) after the action screws have started to compress the Laminate, then they start loosening on you, or like my Prairie hunter... Start moving your POI after about 10 shots.

My Pro Varmint started loosening action screws after 4 months give or take, so I wasted no time in Pillaring that one, as I figured I'd have too based upon the Prairie hunter experience. A Good Drill press makes all the difference in the world in making it an almost easy job.

Gotta say I like your choice in your build.... I have CBI barrels on both the 22-250 and the 260... 22-250 is a heavy sporter and the 260 is Varmint profile. Excellent choice IMO. It will be a .5 MOA shooter when your done with the build and load development....

Yes, I have pillared my Pro Varmint, (260 Rem) but I have not had to Glass bed it "yet". I also have a Prairie Hunter stock on my (22-250) Axis which I've had to Pillar & Glass Bed. I'm a perfectionist though, so take that into consideration... I want them all in the same hole... I keep messing with stuff until I achieve that, or I've exhausted all possible options. Both of these rifles are my Long Range Rigs though... I use the 22-250 for Shooting SageRats @ 400+ yards and in... And the 260 I just built in the last year for ringing Steel @ 1000 yards or for larger Varmints, coyotes, fox etc...

Bottom line is: you will probably have to pillar at the least, (maybe after 5-6 months) after the action screws have started to compress the Laminate, then they start loosening on you, or like my Prairie hunter... Start moving your POI after about 10 shots.

My Pro Varmint started loosening action screws after 4 months give or take, so I wasted no time in Pillaring that one, as I figured I'd have too based upon the Prairie hunter experience. A Good Drill press makes all the difference in the world in making it an almost easy job.

Gotta say I like your choice in your build.... I have CBI barrels on both the 22-250 and the 260... 22-250 is a heavy sporter and the 260 is Varmint profile. Excellent choice IMO. It will be a .5 MOA shooter when your done with the build and load development....
    Thanks for the advise. I need all I can get as this is my first bolt action build. Hopefully this 6.5 Swede is a good shooter. I’ll have to get on YouTube and watch some videos on pillaring the boyds stocks.

Did the same exact build here but dropped mine in the Choate Tactical. Very solid stock. Never bedded anything and will shoot under an inch at 200 with the heavy bullets. One of my favorite rifles to shoot. Good luck with yours.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3g81i6-so

Watch this video on pillar bedding. I did it exactly the same way including using the 1" & .5" steel spacers... the .5" spacer is perfect for the front pillar and I didn't have to cut anything on it... Just roughed it up so Epoxy would adhere.

This is applicable to the 111 action as well as the Axis... As I've done it on both.