Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What front rest are you using?

Basic Member

What front rest are you using?

It's time for me to upgrade to a nice adjustable front rest. What are you running or what would you get?

Thanks for any input.

Basic Member
    I'm using a a caldwell front rest. It does everything I need it to do and was not all that expensive.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...-shooting-rest

Team Savage

Sinclair heavy varmint w/windage top.

Basic Member
    How much do you want to spend? The Bald Eagle rests sold by Bullets.com are very good values and probably suitable for all but very high level competition. Bullets.com is in the middle of shutting down for good, I believe, but may still have some at very attractive prices. On the other end of the spectrum, you can sew up an old pair of jean legs and fill them with the material of your choice. They are very nice for certain uses as well.

Basic Member
    The bald eagle is what brought this thread up, pretty sweet deal. Then I found the Caldwell BR (124$), then the..... It seems you get your moneys worth on all of them, including the big dollar ones. Thanks for posting guys.

Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest. Not very expensive and works great for working up target loads. Has windage and elevation adjustments. Use a rock solid rear bag and most of the human factor is removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Sinclair heavy varmint w/windage top.
    I really like the Sinclair. I bought it with the basic top because it was on sale, but also figuring I could upgrade the top later. The adjustment wheel moves very smoothly, and all of the parts are well thought out and well made. I went round and round before I decided, even placing orders for the Bald Eagle and the Protektor and cancelling both. I'm very happy with my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I'm using a a caldwell front rest. It does everything I need it to do and was not all that expensive.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...-shooting-rest
    The Caldwell rests like the one above are fine for the average shooting going to the local range or plinking around in the back yard, but they have far too much play and slop in them due to sloppy tolerances to be considered for serious precision work. I donated the one I had bought years ago to my local range and Fred went through it to "tighten it up a bit". Can't recall what all he did to it, but the difference between it and an "as delivered" one is night and day. As they say, you get what you pay for.

For a high quality, well made basic (no frills) front rest that will work for everything from your favorite hunting rifle to a full 3-inch benchrest stock look at the Sinclair All-Purpose Lightweight Rest. The only thing it doesn't have is adjustable windage. While it says lightweight in the name, it still has some heft to it - just not competition benchrest heft.

If you want one that uses a more traditional-style front bag specific to a given forend width Sinclair's offers this option.

If you want the adjustable windage the price is going to jump up $100 or more with the Sinclair Heavy Varmint Rest options.

Beyond that you're getting into the really high dollar stuff ($500+).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    The Caldwell front rest gets the job done for me. No extra gizmoes to cause problems. If I want windage adjustments, I just move the rear bag. Would like it more if it was a little heavier. I did add some roller bearings under the front post to smooth things out. Don't think I've tried it since they were added.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    I have the older version of this rest. ,https://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...prod57001.aspx. with T handles to lock the adjustments. Top is benchrest style, change the rear screw out for the speed screw elevation adjustment.

Works great doesn't move on me, plenty heavy enough. However if you leave the lock screws loose it will have some movement and it will affect shooting. Especially point blank benchrest. That's why I bought the speed screw.
    So if benchrest is your game this is bottom of the list in my opinion. Not that it's bad, it's great I am just saying for benchrest at least buy one of these.
    Along with a good rear bag set up.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190315-174215_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	5885

Picture of mine with rear speed screw. The red T handles are what I meant by making sure they are locked before shooting.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Depends on what your going to use the rest for. If you plan on competing then you need a solid,, no wiggle rest. Some times a large sand bag up front is more stable than a lot of the cheap seats out there. I would recommend the Bald Eagle if you are starting out as it doesn't break the bank and you can actually be very highly competitive with it. I still use mine, it's the heavy slingshot adjustable top. Yeah the cable is the only weak point to get used to but when you have it running smooth and are used to it,, it is SOLID. A friend of mine saw a few in use at the super shoot last year.
    I also shot a clean 400 with 36 x's out of 40 last year using the rest in f class including one ten shot group that measured .3 moa at 300 yards,, yeah quarter covers a 300 yard 10 shot group centered in the x.

I have used the best possible rests too like the Seb and Farley with the joy stick. They are definitely better once you get used to the joy stick movement but that mainly helps with the speed you can make minut adjustment s more smoothly than sand the Bald eagle.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Actually, I was just looking at the target I was referring to and one 10 shot group is .263 moa at 300 yards and the other 10 shot group that immediately followed for the first 20 minute relay was .378 moa at 300 yards. So the Bald Eagle rest is definitely worth the money.

The only mod I have done to mine is to jb weld the rear adjustment screw, putting release agent on the threaded screw. That tightens the screw so it doesn't wobble at all with the lock ring left loose.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Started with the Caldwell BR then went to a D.R. Greenlaw now use a Farley, all for short range 100-300 BR. As you progress so do your needs or wants. The new Lenzi is real nice but $1800 is to rich for my blood.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I use some cheap shooting bags I found on eBay. Works fine for me all the way out to 1000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I found a caldwell BR Rock used shortly after starting this thread, its great for a first rest. It has come loose twice, needs a locktite tune up. I would like a Shadetree top for it(similar to a SEB).

I do all my prone and bench shooting off a backpack with an Eberlestock pack mounted rest and a Wiebad loop bag in the back and am completely satisfied with the results. for sitting in the field i stand my pack upright and shoot off the top using the internal frame for support. My internal frame consists of a framesheet with a pair of carbon fiber stays, very light but very rigid vertically.
    Rusty Shackelford

Basic Member
    Recently purchased Bald Eagle cast iron front rest, $ 200. Grizzly has them on sale now for about 20-25% off,Should have waited 30 days

Basic Member
    Best not to compare target shooting and hunting when discussing shooting rests.
    But fact is that at least in the long range target shooting world, the need for speed in getting shots off has become very desirable.
    10 record shots in a minit or less has become fairly common. Which could also be used in a debate over just how much a roll luck plays.
    For sure it plays a large roll when hunting. Sending lead while the opportunity exists, trumps wishing you had every time.
    Shooting systems created with that purpose in mind, are equally as important while hunting.

Basic Member
    Bald Eagle from Grizzly. $129, wide footprint, windage, use a protector rear bag. Adjust the sides in snug and the rifle will not move at all except backwards.

Banned
    these two
    sinclair comp rest
    https://www.sinclairintl.com/shootin...prod39322.aspx

field and cave steel plate added, larger footprint, more weight...55#s as is

like this but steel
    https://fieldandcaveoutfitters.com/c...num-base-plate

Same set up /\ Sinclair Comp rest with 4" Edgewood front bag with the aluminum F & C plate and F & C windage tensioner and an Edgewood Gator rear bag. I'm happy with it.
    Dave

Banned
    i now have 2/\
    one with the steel f and c STEEL plate FOR LONG RANG and heavy gun shooting , both 4 and 3 inch tops.
    one with no plate for short range bench rest, just the 3" top.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5savageguy View Post
    Same set up /\ Sinclair Comp rest with 4" Edgewood front bag with the aluminum F & C plate and F & C windage tensioner and an Edgewood Gator rear bag. I'm happy with it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    Depends on what your going to use the rest for. If you plan on competing then you need a solid,, no wiggle rest. Some times a large sand bag up front is more stable than a lot of the cheap seats out there. I would recommend the Bald Eagle if you are starting out as it doesn't break the bank and you can actually be very highly competitive with it. I still use mine, it's the heavy slingshot adjustable top. Yeah the cable is the only weak point to get used to but when you have it running smooth and are used to it,, it is SOLID. A friend of mine saw a few in use at the super shoot last year.
    I also shot a clean 400 with 36 x's out of 40 last year using the rest in f class including one ten shot group that measured .3 moa at 300 yards,, yeah quarter covers a 300 yard 10 shot group centered in the x.

I have used the best possible rests too like the Seb and Farley with the joy stick. They are definitely better once you get used to the joy stick movement but that mainly helps with the speed you can make minut adjustment s more smoothly than sand the Bald eagle.
    So i gather you retired the scissor jack? Lol

Be1005

75% of my shooting is with GG&G bipods, but with the
    transitioning to a heavier bench gun, I picked up the
    Bald Eagle aluminum (BE1005) I did modify it by ditching
    the cable system, and putting the adjustment on the
    left side. Have not used it past 500 yards but, it does
    it's job. Goes about 10 lbs. Not sure what the cast iron
    version weighs. Later if I feel I need more weight, I'll
    just fab up a heavy base for it.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast