Thread: Now this is interesting...

Now this is interesting...

Came across this the other day while searching the net trying to find a decent drill press that would run as slow as 75-100rpm without having to spend a small fortune and thought it was pretty cool. I've seen the Nova Voyager DVR drill press that's been out for a few years now, but this new Vulcan they're coming out with is designed to handle metal milling work as well. It's a little salty at $1850, but compared to the price for a good metalworking drill press or a bench top mill it's actually pretty cheap.

https://www.teknatool.com/product/vulcan/

My only reservation would be that it's all electronic. Belts are easy to find and cheap replace, proper electronic widgets - not so much.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Sweet . . .

Sure beats my Skil 3320-01.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    If you are a pretty handy sort of guy and you already have a standard drill press you could simply replace the motor with a true Spindle Drive and VFD controller. A decent conversion might run about $600 in parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Looks kinda gimmicky to me. For that price you can almost buy a mill drill.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I like the beefed up lower bearing but I'm with Fred. My first thought was what has changed. If the goal is to have a ability to mill there are much better options. Having something with an X, Y and Z axis is the only route. These are not Bridgeport quality but for the money you could still collect some tooling and have some fun.

A buddy has a 727V, it is R8 collet and he has been happy with it.

http://www.precisionmatthews.com/pro...es/benchmills/

Wasn't looking at buying one, just said it was interesting. If I wanted a mill that's what I would have been looking at, but as noted in my first post I'm looking for a drill press and just stumbled across this one while doing some research. The bearing upgrade would be nice as it would allow you to use it for drum sanding, and the extremely wide speed range would be great, but I wouldn't get one simply because who knows if you will be able to get replacement electronic bits for it in 10-15-20 years. Belts, bearings and motors are pretty generic and easily sourced when needed so I'll be sticking with the old school tech.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I agree that it is innovative but like you I like things I can fix. I recently was watching where farmers are getting raped on diagnostics on the new tractors by John Deer and others. seems that it may cost 2000 bucks just to have your tractor trailered to the dealer and have a scan run. They are having to hack the OBD systems to save money especially for the little items like seat sensors and little gotcha items like that. Technology can be great if,,, reliability is greater.