Thread: Low Budget Dandy

Low Budget Dandy

I recently helped out a buddy who needed some scratch and gave a good home to this little 243. I decided to do the frugal build and this is what I came up with. I bedded the action with JB weld being sure the barrel and tang were free floated, I refinished the stock and stained the fore end with some ebony minwax. Then added some automotive pinstripe and coated it with several coats of satin spray poly. Then I made white line spacers for the butt pad and grip cap by cutting ovals from a sheetrock mud bucket . A 3 screw trigger was swapped in with proper adjustment and a lighter weight spring of piano wire. A set of used bases and then a Pentax Pioneer from Doug at Cameraland top it off. With the scope included I put her together at about 30% of the cost of a new American Classic. I think I did OK
    BHJ

OOPs! I took the photo before installing the scope. Ill post pics with the Optics on it later

Here she is with optics
    BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

docsleepy

Re: Low Budget Dandy

really looks nice!
    gordon

Ray Gunter

Re: Low Budget Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep
    I refinished the stock and stained the fore end with some ebony minwax. Then added some automotive pinstripe and coated it with several coats of satin spray poly. Then I made white line spacers for the butt pad and grip cap by cutting ovals from a sheetrock mud bucket .
    Poor Boy forend and grip caps.... dont ya just love it....... great idea.......... complete with plastic bucket Faux Spacers