Thread: Sightron s-tac or Athlon argos

Sightron s-tac or Athlon argos

Can't decide and looking for opinions. Will mostly be used for hunting but if I wanna stretch it out some want the capabilities. Will be going on a 110 7 rem mag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have an STAC 2-10x32 30mm tube. It has the HHR2 reticle. I like it. I tested it on a 375 H and H on a lead sled. It lived.

Basic Member
    It looks like you are comparing a FFp to a SFP. otherwise very comparable other than the Sightron has a nicer power range and the Athalon has a nicer reticle. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the Sightron will have better glass, but in a tactical scope that is a lot lower on the list than actually having usable turrets (both have accurate adjustments).

I think there is a zero stop for the Athalon, but not sure about the sightron.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    It looks like you are comparing a FFp to a SFP. otherwise very comparable other than the Sightron has a nicer power range and the Athalon has a nicer reticle. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the Sightron will have better glass, but in a tactical scope that is a lot lower on the list than actually having usable turrets (both have accurate adjustments).

I think there is a zero stop for the Athalon, but not sure about the sightron.
    So you think I would be better with the sightron as far as glass goes because it will be used 95% of the time for hunting 300 yards and under

I cannot speak for the Sightron. I do have a Athlon Argos BTR In MOA. It is very clear and has preformed well over 1200yards. It is my only FFP scope. Try to hit a gun show and compare the two. Remember the florescent lights are nothing like outside. Pick which you think is best for you.

I'm a Sightron fan so I am biased towards them... I bot my Sightron SIII 6-24x50 without even looking through the scope first (first and only time). I had been looking at the Vortex Viper PST in the same magnification range as my other option. I looked through the PST at Cabelas and was very pleased with the glass clarity, but their FFP version had a reticle that was not scaled properly (when I would zoom in up to 24) as I would lose sight of 5 or 6 of the hashmarks on the bottom post. I didn't care for that.

I watched a youtube video where the guy had both scopes and was comparing features... They were pretty much identical as far as features with the exception of zero-stop, and illuminated reticle. The reviewer was beyond adamant that the glass on the Sightron was leaps and bounds better and even said that the glass was comparable to the Nightforce NXS line. I found a screaming deal on Opticsplanet one day and decided to buy it without ever looking through it with my own eyes.... I'm glad I did... I'm pretty sure the S-tac is going to have better glass than the Argos.

https://zer-ostop.com/ There is a Zero stop available for the SIII now and I believe the S-tac also.

The choice is yours in the end, but I Love my Sightron!

Here's a review on the S-Tac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCmNI5OeQCE reviewed by the same guy that did the SIII review.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmdog86 View Post
    So you think I would be better with the sightron as far as glass goes because it will be used 95% of the time for hunting 300 yards and under

If hunting 95% of the time 300 and under, I don't think I would even worry about one over the other. I would probably go with the Sightron that has the low end magnification starting at 2.5 because the Athalon argos only is offered in 6-24 unless they updated their product line. I like a lower magnification for hunting. I have a Burris XTR2 3-15 on each of my good hunting rifles and I think it is the perfect hunting scope, and after having a FFP for hunting, I tried to like a Second focal plane Burris 4.5-14 MTAC last October, but I hated it. I gotta have FFP now.