Thread: keep or ditch my axis?

Basic Member

keep or ditch my axis?

I'm kind of torn what to do hear. I have an axis II 223rem heavy barrel that shoots very well and its got about 400-500 rounds through it, factory stock, etc. I was just about to order a Boyd's stock for it when i cam across the model 12fv. From what I've read ill get about another thousand rounds from my axis barrel and have to replace it which would be almost the cost of a new rifle. A part of me says stick with the axis and just put the Boyd's on it and re barrel it when it needs it but i keep hearing this model 12fv is better than the axis being a true short action, larger bolt knob, possibly a better barrel, maybe the stock doesn't need replaced, axis bolts seem very sloppy to me, etc.

The downside i see to switching to a model 12fv is i would have to sell the axis and lose my rear end on it but put the $ towards the model 12fv, barrel is longer and heavier, its a Cabela's exclusive so savage might not warranty it when they are done and gone. possibly have to restock it (Bear archery did this to me with a gander mountain exclusive bow). My savage has a shorter, handier barrel and seems to be lighter for a walking varmint rifle.

What's your thoughts?

The 12 is def a better platform from the start. However the action is excellent on the axis, with a good barrel you wouldn’t notice much difference. You have the axis, seriously doubt you’ll shoot the barrel out in a 1,000 rounds. So save the Boyd’s till later, put that towards the 12, keep the axis

there is more options aftermarket wise for the 12 tho

Basic Member
    Unless you are shooting in the rarified atmosphere of the highest level of benchrest competition, you will not notice the slightest difference in the accuracy of you barrel after the next 2000 rounds.

Keep it as is and still buy a model 12.
    Your barrel has plenty of life left. Unless you're shooting some really hot loads I"d guess 4k to 5k at least.
    The model 12 is definitely a superior design in my opinion. I ordered one of the first axis as soon as they came out when they were called the "Edge". Having owned and tinkered many 10/110 rifles over the years I couldn't get rid of it fast enough even though I took a beating on the $. The newer ones (Axis 2 HB)definitely have some necessary upgrades to the trigger and the barrel over the original. I still prefer the recoil lug design and aftermarket available for the 12. With the price being what it is on the Cabelas exclusives there is really no reason not to just go ahead and buy one outright and keep your other rifle if you like it.
    Unless there is a bankruptcy at Savage I would assume that since they manufactured the rifle, and use most if not all of the parts on other makes and models, there would be no reason not to offer support. The warranty if I'm not mistaken is only 1 year anyway.
    If you really want a "walking varminter" maybe check the classifieds and find yourself a sporter barrel in the caliber of your choice for about $50 +- and go from there. That's what I think most here would do. Not sure what your use for the rifle would be but that would dictate several decisions. Me I'd go with a model 12 with a .470 bolt face to open up more caliber options.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Since you already have gone down the Axis road... I put a CBI barrel on mine and slapped a Boyd's Prairie hunter on it, Mine is 22-250 however... I bought mine for Shooting sagerats not for competition... I did have to pillar and bed the axis into the Boyd's stock to get the accuracy I wanted (5 in a nickel @ 100 yards). The gun is solid now and shoots darn well. I spent way more $ on it then I should have, but I'm a lefty and the 12FV was not an option for me.

If you didn't already have the axis, then I'd say to go with the 12FV... You will never get your money back on the axis... period, so you might as well build it to the nuts, and shoot little tiny bug hole groups with it.

When I bought my axis it was a $300.00 rifle.... when I finished building it, it was about $1000.00 (including the purchase price of the gun) but not including optics.

CBI Barrel & Barrel nut
    Boyd's prairie hunter stock
    new trigger guard (metal)
    Pillars and Devcon
    Accraglass bedding compound
    new trigger (possibly)--- I just did the trigger spring snip on mine (voids warranty) but you'll have to do one or the other IMO.

Good luck to you,

Team Savage
    I doubt there is any difference in barrel quality between the Axis and Savage 12FV. The Axis barrel you have is a proven shooter with plenty of barrel life left. The 12FV has an Accutrigger and blind magazine, tupperware stock with beavertail forearm if that matters. I would not consider the 12FV a handy carry rifle with the 26" varmint barrel. I'd keep the Axis and order a Boyd's stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Keep it as is and still buy a model 12.
    Your barrel has plenty of life left. Unless you're shooting some really hot loads I"d guess 4k to 5k at least.
    The model 12 is definitely a superior design in my opinion. I ordered one of the first axis as soon as they came out when they were called the "Edge". Having owned and tinkered many 10/110 rifles over the years I couldn't get rid of it fast enough even though I took a beating on the $. The newer ones (Axis 2 HB)definitely have some necessary upgrades to the trigger and the barrel over the original. I still prefer the recoil lug design and aftermarket available for the 12. With the price being what it is on the Cabelas exclusives there is really no reason not to just go ahead and buy one outright and keep your other rifle if you like it.
    Unless there is a bankruptcy at Savage I would assume that since they manufactured the rifle, and use most if not all of the parts on other makes and models, there would be no reason not to offer support. The warranty if I'm not mistaken is only 1 year anyway.
    If you really want a "walking varminter" maybe check the classifieds and find yourself a sporter barrel in the caliber of your choice for about $50 +- and go from there. That's what I think most here would do. Not sure what your use for the rifle would be but that would dictate several decisions. Me I'd go with a model 12 with a .470 bolt face to open up more caliber options.
    Right now its a dedicated woodchuck rifle and i will be shooting 300yard matches this summer. I have gotten the rifle to shoot 3 shots in the same hole several times but the stock flexes too much for a bipod when shooting woodchucks so i figured put a boyds on it.

Basic Member
    I also forgot to mention that i have 2 axis rifles in the same caliber. One is a sporter barrel in 223rem with a non accu trigger and the other has an accu trigger heavy barrel in 223rem.

Just ordered a Boyd’s for my 223 hb . Think I will put it together shoot it and see if it needs bedded then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to sell my axis a while back even with all the work I had done to it and just no one was interested. I would just try to scrape together penny's for the 12 and go from there. I do have a boyds on my 243 axis heavy barrel and I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Really the axis is available in all discount box stores . And people can alter them the way they want . Your probably right had it been a 12 if probably would have moved. The axis hb is still a fine rifle though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I tried to sell my Axis for a while. If you don't want to take a complete bath just keep it.

Team Savage
    And if you want to try a 12FV 26" varmint barrel, there are lots of new "take-off" barrels for sale under $150.00 from donor 12FV actions. The barrel is small shank and fits the Axis action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    And if you want to try a 12FV 26" varmint barrel, there are lots of new "take-off" barrels for sale under $150.00 from donor 12FV actions. The barrel is small shank and fits the Axis action.
    Where can i find these.

The classifieds here often have some good deals. Just be aware that as with any goods not purchased retail, there are "asking prices" and there are "selling prices".
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    bump

Team Savage
    Also check EBay and Gunbroker.

Basic Member
    If it puts bullets through the same hole, you keep it! Its just money

Basic Member
    I agree. Never get rid of an accurate rig.
    I just put a heavy barrel 204on an axis action and boyds stock. HOT DOG!!! what a combo! I actually like the feel of the action, trigger is not bad, there is a light ring (???) after each shot that I really like but have no idea what causes it, and the ground squirrels HATE it.

Basic Member
    Remember back a few years when AR-15's and AK-47's were going for $2000.00, now at $400.00 for a bottom end rifle. I quit crying about what I have bought and sold guns for, I want to have fun. The Axis and Ruger American may be considered a lower grade of rifle but I have a American Predator (600 rounds in April) .223 that out to 350 yards will kill gophers as well as my Model 112 BVSS .223 and is 6 pounds lighter even with a suppressor on it. And the American will shoot any hand load I shoot through it. I started mixing my ammo to see a difference, there isn't. Boom,splat,boom,splat. I have an Stainless Axis 6.5CM coming that some one bought and shot 20 rounds through it and says in won't group. Spent another $300+ in goodies on it including a new At One Boyds Stock. Then I bought it for $350.00. My last new Savage 111 7 mag took 60 rounds before in settled down to 1/2-3/4" groups. All the tricks they guys on this forum know to get a rifle to shoot is amazing, just ask for help. The last trouble maker I had the rifle wasn't the problem it was bullet design that I was using. Quit buying the new wiz bang expensive bullets and put some old fashion soft nose down range and shaved 1 1/4" off my groups. Just my 2 cents worth.

Basic Member
    Another thing, the 12FV feels very nose heavy to me with a plastic stock. Out in the field I would need a bipod to shoot long range on the ground but the plastic stock still worries me. You won't be shooting the 12 out the drivers window to often either at gophers. I have a 12 and a 112 both BVSS's pushing 13 pounds each, carry those around all day and your arm are an inch longer. Barrel life, during WWII the average barrel life on a M1 Garand shooting 147 grain steel jacket ammo was 10,000 rounds before they were considered worn out. And they used steel bore rods to clean the barrels, no wonder muzzles eroded.

Basic Member
    I also have an Axis II in .223 HB. I got it cheap from Walmart cause I had heard that they were accurate. It has been. A solid MOA rifle. And the accutrigger has been nice too. When I wanted a good long range rifle I weighed the differences between an Axis project and a new rifle. Several other things besides cost were part of the consideration.

I now have a 12BVSS in .308 with a Vortex PST scope. Yes, it was more expensive, much more expensive. And, yes, the first rounds out of it included the group below (those were rounds #11, 12, 13). I expect to be able to do better than that with some load development. It was also the first time I zeroed a rifle at 200yd instead of 100yd.

Can you do the same with an Axis? Yep. Good barrel, heavier stock, good scope.

But, I do not consider the BVSS a 'walking' varmint gun. I have not weighed mine but it is probably 12lb. It is, to me, an entry level 1000yd rifle. If I only needed 4-500yd I would have stayed with the Axis.

My .223 load is 25.3gn Varget and Sierra 69 MatchKings. Good for less than 1" at 100yd if I do my part. I had a 10rnd group that was .75" Most of the time I jerk at least one round in a group. I have also used the Nosler 69BTHP and they seem good too.

After firing the BVSS I also decided to upgrade the plastic stock on the Axis so I have a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock coming.

Since you won't get much for your Axis I would say to keep it. Either keep it as is and save up for a 12, or just upgrade the Axis.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk