Thread: Cabelas vs Walmart Axis rifles

Cabelas vs Walmart Axis rifles

Hello friends. I was looking on the net to get more info on the Axis II Predator HB from Walmart and found out Cabelas sells a Axis HB too. They call theirs 12 FV. It does not come with a scope and the stock looks different. It does have a longer 26 inch HB barrel. Would it be any better than the Wamart gun? A little side note. I know of 3 maybe more Walmart employees buying the Axis predator and almost all the ammo that comes in. I know of quite a few people of great reputation are buying these guns from Walmart and getting fantastic accuracy out of them.
    best wishes
    Steve

Basic Member
    The Axis and Model 12 's are not the same basic models. Other than both being bolt actions, there are no other similarities.

12fv is a higher end model.

I can't compare here and now, but research model 10 or 110, then research Axis. You will see.

The 12FV is a better gun in almost every respect, especially if you're looking for a heavy barrel gun. The only thing the Axis has that might be more desirable than its counterpart on the 12FV is a removable magazine, and its a plastic tab magazine, which isn't super desirable as it is.

For some reason I thought it was a Axis also. Does the 12FV have the same reputation for being accurate as the Axis?

from my experience the 12fv is much better. I have 3 12s and 1 axis, but the axis is a standard barrel.

I have what I call the Walmart HB gun in 6.5 creedmoor. Im going to try to buy another gun but not sure if I should get a 12FV or another Walmart HB gun. I have already bought 2 guns this year a Colt Sauer and a Walmart gun. Its funny I started out with a Savage rifle. It was back in the late 70's and Im not sure what model it was. Mayby a 110. It had a wood stock ( not walnut). I was about 80 to 90 lbs and it kicked the hell out of me. It was a 30-06. Im still not over it lol. Thats why over the years I have not looked at any Savages.

I have what I call the Walmart HB gun in 6.5 creedmoor. Im going to try to buy another gun but not sure if I should get a 12FV or another Walmart HB gun. I have already bought 2 guns this year a Colt Sauer and a Walmart gun. Its funny I started out with a Savage rifle. It was back in the late 70's and Im not sure what model it was. Mayby a 110. It had a wood stock ( not walnut). I was about 80 to 90 lbs and it kicked the hell out of me. It was a 30-06. Im still not over it lol. Thats why over the years I have not looked at any Savages.

The 12FV is WAY better in my opinion.... And the aftermarket parts available are far more plentiful. the 12FV is more accurate (or at least has the potential to be). The aftermarket stocks for the 12FV have WAY more options as well.

I've built my rifles off of the 111 action and the Axis... If I had it to do over again, I would not even touch an Axis. I'm a lefty though, so I didn't have the option of going with the 12FV.

Basic Member
    I have had 25-06, 7mm-08 and .223 Axis rifles, all with trigger work and none of them shoot much under an inch (all standard barrels).
    That is fine for hunting, but my 22-250 12 FV I shot 3 consecutive 1/3 MOA groups. Even with my LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, I have not done that.
    That is the factory stock and under 100 total rounds through it. The 12 FV is just a better gun than the Axis.

Can you get a wood stock and some bottom metal for the FV?

Yep. They're pretty standard short action, side bolt release actions. Boyds had a Pro Varmint for it off the clearance rack that was inlet for a short action, side bolt release with detachable magazine. I picked it up intending to have CDI Precision inlet it for their DBM so I could just use AICS magazines instead of worrying about getting the factory parts and magazines.

Basic Member
    I have 3 Axis and 4 12FVs. With the exception of my .308 Axis (the only one in stainless, for what it's worth) all will easily shoot sub MOA. But the 12's will keep doing it after the skinny barreled Axis ones heat up. Both triggers can be made the same once you put the varmint spring in the Axis. I do prefer the larger bolt handle and open action in the 12's.

Honestly, they are both great guns and I think it comes down to what you want to do with it. Carry the Axis into the woods and use the 12 on the bench...

Can you get a wood stock and bottom metal for the FV?

The Walmart gun I got was $398 plus 7% tax. The FV is only $21 more but Im 3 hrs one way to a Cabelas store.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermist View Post
    Can you get a wood stock and bottom metal for the FV?
    Yep...I converted one of mine.

Cool I will need some advice on putting bottom metal on one.

I will need some advice on a stock and bottom metal!

Basic Member
    Any stock that is for a top bolt release, 4.4" action screw spacing, milled for DBM, and meant for a model 10 or 12 in heavy barrel should work. Then you just need the DBM from a 10 FCP-SR, or CDI, or Accurate Mag, etc. I personally found the Savage DBM on the forums here and mated it up to a cheap Boyds thumbhole I found. Then I cut 8" off the barrel for fun...

Attachment 4629Attachment 4630

Thanks for the pics and info. Yes if I can get a Boyds stock and some Savage factory bottom metal I would be a happy camper. All I want is a simple monte carlo stock. I measured my Walmart gun and its 5 inches center to center
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180306_141152.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	4634
    How do you rotate pic dang

The local hardware store sells a few guns and he has a Savage114 American I think the name is. Its a nice looking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermist View Post
    I will need some advice on a stock and bottom metal!
    The 12FV is a heavy barreled rifle, so you are going to have some difficulty in finding a Boyds stock with a Monte Carlo comb... The Monte Carlo comb comes on the Prairie hunter, and The Heritage. The problem is, that you can't open the barrel channel wide enough to accept the heavy barrel that comes on the 12FV, with either of those stocks (Heavy sporter/lite varmint at most). You may want to look at the Thumbhole or Pro varmint stocks... They will accommodate the heavy barrel on the 12FV.

My brother has the 12FV in 22-250 and he put this one on his, which is better than the Boyds Pro Varmint in my opinion... https://www.stockysstocks.com/bobby-...nd-models.html

If you go with the Boyd's Pro Varmint: you will have to contact Savage and order the "bottom metal for wood stocks" I went with the actual METAL, but they also offer it in plastic (if I remember correctly) and my bottom metal ran about $150.00 total.

just my .02

Thats a great 2 cents!!!!!

Basic Member
    FWIW, I bought one of those Axis in .223 last year. It is a solid MOA or less with good loads (handloads or match factory loads). It impressed me enough that I bought a 12BVSS this year.

If you just want an accurate plinker and the cheap scope on the Axis will do for you, then get the Axis. And, yes, you can tell it is a cheap scope when you look through it. Will it do for most daylight varmint work? Yes. Dim light or extended ranges then you would appreciate a better scope. And if you plan on a better scope then the 12 makes far more sense for all the reasons listed above.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk