Thread: How is hot!!!

How hot is hot!

I have Savage Axis 270 Win, and after shooting box of 20 rounds, the barrel is extremely hot to the touch.
    I was wondering, what is considered hot to a rifle barrel. Don't want to damage barrel?

Anybody have any idea's!

what is considered hot to a rifle barrel?
    Answer: "the barrel is extremely hot to the touch."

Sporter barrels get hotter faster than their heavier counterparts. The 270 cartridge has a relatively large amount of powder compared to some lesser boiler rooms, increasing the temperature faster in my opinion. The time between shots has a direct correlation with the rate at which the barrel temp rises.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Answer: "the barrel is extremely hot to the touch."
    I would say, it's hot enough, after hour of shooting 15 rounds, you aren't about to hold the barrel for any length of time, cause it's hot!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
    I have Savage Axis 270 Win, and after shooting box of 20 rounds, the barrel is extremely hot to the touch.
    I was wondering, what is considered hot to a rifle barrel. Don't want to damage barrel?

Anybody have any idea's!
    Not so much as a answer but more of a solution... I soak rags in light oil, put them in a ziplock bag, throw them on top in my cooler of frozen gel packs and place them over the first 8 inches or so of my sporter/thinner barrels. It's only a stop gap measure but does significantly slow heat build up close to the shank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I say "too hot" is a point after I should have stopped shooting because accuracy fell off. My 30-06, for example, will shoot 2 shoots well before each bullet there after moves 1 inch right, and another inch, another till I am off paper. So why shoot more than 2-3x?

If your barrel will take 3-4 shots before heating up and losing accuracy, then that's YOUR point. When I am working up loads, I always open the bolt between shots and let the barrel cool about 4 minutes before reloading.

Basic Member
    To answer your question, I’d say the barrel can tolerate quite a bit of heat without damaging it, more heat than what 20rds could do... But as others have said, your accuracy will suffer from a hot barrel. Those sporter barrels aren’t really designed to shoot a whole heck of a lot; as deer rifles, one or two shots is all they’re meant for. Having said that, shooting a box of 20 during a visit to the range won’t hurt the gun, but you may want to let the barrel cool every few shots. FWIW, just today, I shot my 63rd round out of my new Axis 270win & I’ve had it for a couple months now. I’m only taking 3 or 6 (maybe 9) shots every visit to the range, however my first time out with it I shot 20rds (because I was so exited). The barrel certainly got hot so I learned to settle down & let the thing cool off every so often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Basic Member
    Here’s some good info. I just read it & the author brings up some good points. Also provides some concrete numbers/data

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0611.htm

Jason

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hark1980 View Post
    To answer your question, I’d say the barrel can tolerate quite a bit of heat without damaging it, more heat than what 20rds could do... But as others have said, your accuracy will suffer from a hot barrel. Those sporter barrels aren’t really designed to shoot a whole heck of a lot; as deer rifles, one or two shots is all they’re meant for. Having said that, shooting a box of 20 during a visit to the range won’t hurt the gun, but you may want to let the barrel cool every few shots. FWIW, just today, I shot my 63rd round out of my new Axis 270win & I’ve had it for a couple months now. I’m only taking 3 or 6 (maybe 9) shots every visit to the range, however my first time out with it I shot 20rds (because I was so exited). The barrel certainly got hot so I learned to settle down & let the thing cool off every so often

Jason

Good solid information and advice.

My general rule of thumb is if I can't comfortably hold my hand on it for 10 seconds right at the end of the scope it's too hot and I need to give it 15-20 minutes to cool down. The cartridge you're shooting will play a big role in how many shots you can shoot before it gets too hot and affects accuracy. Bigger cartridge = more powder = more heat.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    I think Jim stated it pretty good. If you can't hold your hand on it comfortably for 10 seconds, it's too hot. Good reason to bring more than one rig when you go shooting. Don't think I've ever had a barrel get that hot except maybe after 200 rounds of pounding steel on my M1A. That was a couple of years ago and I think it's still too hot to touch.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Thanks for all your replies!