Thread: PNTC Long Range Shooting In WV

Basic Member

PNTC Long Range Shooting In WV

Not sure if there are many members in the northern West Virginia area but I just Joined Peacemaker National Training Center last year. I had my first opportunity to take part in their Frontier Range long range practice.

For this past Sunday’s event they had about 20 target positions with 2-3 different size steel plates at each location. They were spread out over a 90° arc at different elevations and ranged from 400-1100 yds.

The circled target below was a 16” steel silhouette at 1100yds.

The people there are great. If you live within 2hrs of their location and are interested in casual competition long range shooting and matches you should check them out.

Looks good! I'm all the way down near Huntington so it'd be a little bit of a drive for me. There's nothing really close around here for me.
    Scooter

How long were you on the membership waitlist? It's almost a 2 hour drive from me now, but it's the closest 1k range I would have access to. A friend and I have been planning a trip to check out their 300 yard range that's open to non members.

Basic Member
    Shot the Fall Scramble there at the end of the season last year. Ended up taking 17th, but I zero'd a stage due to bringing the wrong stages dope to the line.... Should have been tied 3rd....

Anyways, beautiful facility and I look forward to shooting it again this year!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezmode View Post
    How long were you on the membership waitlist? It's almost a 2 hour drive from me now, but it's the closest 1k range I would have access to. A friend and I have been planning a trip to check out their 300 yard range that's open to non members.
    I was on the wait list for about 7 months. Then as soon as I joined they had a recruitment drive where any member could sign up a friend who could immediately bypass the waitlist. So I signed up a friend.

The 300 yd range is really part of their 100/200/300 yd range. It’s not really anything special. You can register for the Long Range Matches as well as the Frontier Sunday’s as a non-member but I believe you just pay a higher match fee than members.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gee fellas. Ain't ya lucky to have such a sweet place to shoot.

I'd drive 10 hours to shoot at a place like that, but there ain't any around anywhere except the F-class stuff at the army base 8+ hours from here. And that's only a handful of times a year at most.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post

I'd drive 10 hours to shoot at a place like that, but there ain't any around anywhere except the F-class stuff at the army base 8+ hours from here. And that's only a handful of times a year at most.
    how close are you to Meaford?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Looks good! I'm all the way down near Huntington so it'd be a little bit of a drive for me. There's nothing really close around here for me.
    Scooter
    You mean with all them hills in W VA, you found a spot where there aint any? lol
    Anyway whats a few hours drive to go do something you like?
    I know quite a few guys who drove that far and further just to shoot 10 shots at Williamsport twice a month.
    There are others who camp there overnight because of the long distances they drive.
    Note that i didn't say that i was one of them.
    There are no doubt places to shoot at least for fun, near where many of us live, but were just not tuned in enough to notice them.
    Even in places like here in Florida, it's possible to get more distance. Last year i was driving out a country road about 20 miles west of here.
    The area is all cattle ranches, and the terrain is about perfectly flat, as is most of the state.
    A guy was just closing a gate as i passed him, and there sat a Jeep with a large tuna tower i guessed to be about 12' from the ground.
    Now what in the world would a rancher in Florida be doing with a Jeep with a tuna tower during deer season?
    I also know guys in VA who hunt l/r from platforms on top of large hay wagons.

Basic Member

This place is 8hrs from Toronto.

Dust off that passport and head on down!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    He'd need to dust off more than that to get there in 8 hrs.
    Ridgeway PA would be easier for him, and he could shoot there every day if he felt like it.

Basic Member
    Peacemaker is a nice facility. I have shot PRS and 3 Gun matches there and taught a PR1 class there as well.

I thought in Canada you could just get of your truck with your swampers on and shoot as far as you wanted anywhere :)
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    I had my first official match at PNTC yesterday. What a great group of people.

25 targets total ranging from 450 to 860 yds. Most were between 8”-12”.

The Stealth performed well. I had 19 first round hits and only missed 4 targets total. Two were 6” plates around 820 yds that I couldn’t hit. On one of those I just lost focus and forgot to dial in the correct elevation.

Only down side was all the mud after the temple warmed up and I dropped my magazine somewhere on the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    how close are you to Meaford?

Sorry for the late reply... Meaford Ontario is almost 3 hours North of me.

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    I thought in Canada you could just get of your truck with your swampers on and shoot as far as you wanted anywhere :)
    If you have your own land then yeah... Crown land in Ontario is all bush, so shooting longer shots on there I go along the power lines bout 5 hours drive.

This is the situation in Ontario where I live. In Western Canada (Prairies and British Columbia) there is lots of open Crown Land and that's where one would "just get out of their truck" and shoot.

Basic Member
    Sorry for the late reply... Meaford Ontario is almost 3 hours North of me.
    https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/matches/match/899/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You made my day !!! Thanks you !!!

You bet your ass I'll be there... Today I'll look into what it takes to sign up and participate. My brother will wanna go too.

Basic Member
    You made my day !!! Thanks you !!!

You bet your ass I'll be there... Today I'll look into what it takes to sign up and participate. My brother will wanna go too.
    Glad I could help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk