Thread: 16/116 Stock upgrade - new user needs help

16/116 Stock upgrade - new user needs help

Hello, have owned and shot Savages for a while but only tonight found this website. A couple years ago I bought a Model 16 Trophy Hunter XP in .308 (detachable Axis magazine), and it's a fine shooter. Still, I've never been entirely happy with the factory stock, since it's not an Accustock and has too much flex up front when using a bipod or sandbag rest; about 1 of every 5 rounds is often pulled several inches off the main group at 100 yds. Around this time last year, I ordered a Hogue Overmolded stock for it, but I've always been afraid to use it.

First off, forgive me if I get the terms wrong when trying to explain. The Hogue stock at first seems like a very nice fit and with a bit of sanding around the opening where the trigger guard slides in, the fit is great...but that's where it ends. If you look at the stock from the top, the location where the Rear Action Screw(?) attaches to the rear of the chamber/barrel, it's not filled in; there are just three small ears in the aluminum that stick up next to the hole the screw passes through. Even the factory stock is flush with a good seat/bed across the rear. Sorry I don't have a good picture to show, but hope you all understand.

Anyway I've basically convinced myself the Hogue is not going to be a good (maybe not even safe) stock choice, nor do I have the ability to bed or fix the Hogue myself. I'm currently looking at a Boyd's At-One stock, and so far all the reviews I've read and watched on the stock seem like it's a fine product. At the same time their Classic and Prairie Hunter stocks look great too. And since this is for a basic all-around "beater" rifle, I don't want to spend too much money on it, I'd rather put more if desired upgrading the scope rings and base.

My question for you all would be is the Hogue okay like this, not having complete bedded contact between the stock and chamber where the rear screw anchors everything? And lastly, and this and not specific to the Boyd's. Which is a stronger product for a stock, to get the stock in laminate or pay the little bit extra and buy it in solid walnut? Is one stronger than the other?

Thanks.

I believe you might be overthinking and worrying on the Hogue. The rear pillar doesn’t need to support the receiver nearly as much as does the front pillar. I would put the rifle in the Hogue and go shoot it.

Boyds makes a decent stock. They are not pillared from the factory however.

Thanks, that makes me feel more comfortable about the Hogue. The rear pillar does have good contact and support at the shoulders, just nothing in the middle save for the three small fingers of metal (maybe flashing) sticking up around the rear action screw, which is what I was concerned about. But if it's not as critical, then I'll take it to the range and see how it shoots; I'm hoping to maintain the 3/4 MOA groups without pulling a shot. I feel the Hogue would be a better choice for how I will use this rifle and where I'd be hauling it, which is why I originally bought it.