Thread: Stockade repair

Stockade repair

Curious if anyone has a idea on the proper repair on the coating of the buttstock. Looks to be about .020 - .030 thick with a very fine finished fiberglass(?) underneath the coating.

Basic Member
    I don't actually know, but my guess would be to use repair techniques used on fiberglass boats.
    Either repair and paint, or repair and gelcoat.
    Many new very high end boats are painted with high quality epoxy paint.

Thanks yobuck, The paint is not really the issue, it is what to use as the filler. Bodyworks used something called "Smooth-On Metalset A4"

It is an epoxy gel coat on fiberglass & carbon cloth.

Gel coat is miserable and expensive but, happily, there are dozens of compatible kits, like Yobuck said, for boat repair.

You can even do a color match.

https://www.amazon.com/Evercoat-Gelc...oat+repair+kit

But if you have to build the surface up any hard two-part epoxy will give you the bottom/filler. You want a two-part putty (easier to form to existing curves) and a product like PC-7 comes in small amounts (to ounces is like $5). Hardware store item. Cut a piece of plastic to make a spatula and keep some 91% alcohol on hand to clean up any "overages". It has a nice working time as well.

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-1...ds=epoxy+putty
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    It is an epoxy gel coat on fiberglass & carbon cloth.

Gel coat is miserable and expensive but, happily, there are dozens of compatible kits, like Yobuck said, for boat repair.

You can even do a color match.

https://www.amazon.com/Evercoat-Gelc...oat+repair+kit

But if you have to build the surface up any hard two-part epoxy will give you the bottom/filler. You want a two-part putty (easier to form to existing curves) and a product like PC-7 comes in small amounts (to ounces is like $5). Hardware store item. Cut a piece of plastic to make a spatula and keep some 91% alcohol on hand to clean up any "overages". It has a nice working time as well.

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-1...ds=epoxy+putty
    I don't do any visable fiberglass repairs on my boat myself, but they have been done by a professional, including re gel coating, and it cant be detected.
    I do use a fair amount of the basic 2 part epoxys on various small projects. Just last week i used the 2 part putty type epoxy for the first time and it was PC7. Id recommend automotive type body filler over that, but any of those types will require painting.

My first sailboat was a Sunfish that blew off someone's roof rack. The bow was stove in about 4". I rebuilt the nose and faired it to about undetectable. That was 1980. Since then THE ADMIRAL and I have had about a dozen fiberglass boats and one wood one that was fiberglassed below the waterline (that build was an article for Messing About in Boats). Restored a 1964 Thistle 17 from bare shell out. LOTS of practice with System Three and West System epoxies.

If it was my stock I'd use Evercoat Formula 27 filler - but there is no sense spending $15 for 1/2 pint on a project that may need a teaspoon of filler. I have that on hand, though. Has never failed me - even repairing keel dents.

PS - this on a chart - * - means a big rock. D'oh!

Thank you gentlemen. Thank you much for the input. This was the direction I was heading but wanted to hear from someone with more experience and product suggestions..

Basic Member
    Those stocks don't have any epoxy in them. The gel coat is vinylester, the cloth is bonded with polyester. I'd just use Duraglass filler and call it good.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Polyester is an adequate adhesive but not as good as epoxy. As a general rule, the tensile strength of a polyester bond will be around 20 percent weaker than the same bond made with epoxy. That makes epoxy resin usually the best choice for fiberglass repair work.
    Fix/repair polyester resins with epoxy. Poly resins don't harden up as well when exposed to air but they are cheaper for large laminating projects.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/polyster-epoxy.asp

If you have any extra Brownell's AcraGlas you could probably use that. That's an epoxy as well. (Cleans up with vinegar before it hardens).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    My first sailboat was a Sunfish that blew off someone's roof rack. The bow was stove in about 4". I rebuilt the nose and faired it to about undetectable. That was 1980. Since then THE ADMIRAL and I have had about a dozen fiberglass boats and one wood one that was fiberglassed below the waterline (that build was an article for Messing About in Boats). Restored a 1964 Thistle 17 from bare shell out. LOTS of practice with System Three and West System epoxies.

If it was my stock I'd use Evercoat Formula 27 filler - but there is no sense spending $15 for 1/2 pint on a project that may need a teaspoon of filler. I have that on hand, though. Has never failed me - even repairing keel dents.

PS - this on a chart - * - means a big rock. D'oh!
    I don't need or use charts. I actually know where every rock is by just memory.
    That is all but one, and that SOB keeps moving around on me.

Don't you hate that?

Basic Member
    call kevin and ask