Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Mark II FV-SR compared to other 22lr?

Wink Savage Mark II FV-SR compared to other 22lr?

Hello everyone, new here so please bare with me.

I been thinking about getting a FV-SR for quite some time. Reviews seem to range from mediocre to godlike.

I plan on using this for range/small game.

Here are the questions:
    (1) what are your general experiences with it?
    (2) how does accuracy compare with other 22lr rifles? (I saw a video where velocities tend to be higher out of the 16.5" than another bolt action with a 18"...)
    (3) what 22lr ammo does your FV-SR like? (Yes.... I know every rifle is different... I'm just asking what yours like)
    (4) if you hunt with it, field experiences?
    (4.5) field set up?
    (5) budget scope suggestions? 4-12x preferred, but any suggestions welcomed. Thinking something probably under 100.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    I personally love my FV-SR. With the oversized bolt handle you can really work it fast and get off shots surprisingly quick. I have not really sat it down to get the MOA for it, but I easily hit 2" metal poppers out to 75 yards.

The plastic stock seems heaver built in relationship to my centerfire Savages and I have no desire to swap it out. It keeps the gun light and easy to swing around. I have a cheap Nikon 3-9x40 on Talley mounts, nice and close to the barrel. For a cheap 4-12 I would go for a Nikon Buckmasters...I have them on several other guns and they are awesome values. I mostly run Federal ammo and have -0- issues.

Pick up some 10 round mags and have fun. Likely the most fun rifle I own and highly recommended.

Thanks, celltech!

A little update for anyone else thinking of getting the FV-SR (although I ended up buying the B22 FV-SR, not the Mark II)...

Just got back from the range. At 50 yards, federal blue box 22lrs were just slightly better than my 10/22 at approximately 1", nothing impressive. Hold your breath... Remington Thunderbolts... 8 of 10 shots through the same hole.

After about 100 rounds of thunderbolts.. my groups opened up to about 1" at 50 yards. I look through my barrel and it's all gunked up. Anyone else experience this? I was super stoked at my first 50 or so thunderbolts because it grouped easily smaller than a dime. Then it drastically opened up

B22 fv-sr is stupid... just really stupid accurate, for the first 50ish rounds of thunderbolts at least. Only downside is the magazine is tough to load compared to Ruger's rotary mag.

I have the MKII FV-SR. The forestock has has been filled with epoxy, a wood riser added to the buttstock, pillars added and that's about it. It likes a firm grip with a bipod in front and a sandbag supporting the rear. Extraction problems are common with these and mine is no exception if I use lubed ammo such as Geco Semi Auto of Aquila SV Blue box. A slower bolt opening reduces the number of brass that get stuck in the chamber. A simple cleaning of the chamber fixes it. Deep cleaning the entire barrel requires a good 20 shots to get back in the groove. Precision? at 50 yds, 5 shots groups can get you 1/4" with Wolf Target match. Aguila red and blue box do very well too but the cheaper ammo does give more fliers. All in all I'm very pleased with mine.

Thanks Sierra!

I tried some CCI sv, 10 rounds same hole at 50yrds.

You weren't kidding about extraction issues. I just sent mine back because the cci brass refuse to extract. I have to go in there with a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the cases out. Love the accuracy, but kind of bummed out about extraction. Hopefully when it gets back the accuracy won't change and extraction problems would be fixed.

Basic Member
    I like my FV-SR

That, sir, is one fine looking rifle. One of these days/months/years I'll get a suppressor.

I've given up on Thunderbolts... Not worth the couple dollars in savings.

I owned one for some three years now. Its a pretty accurate gun, but I never put it through its paces, so to speak.
    With the correct ammunition, mine will shoot 1/2" groups at 50yd. For my rifle it liked:

SK Pistol Match (420114) the most consistent
    Federal Ultra Match (UM22)
    CCI Standard Velocity (0032)

Now, the bad part about that bone-stock MKII FV-SR, in my experience has been:

The stock sucks. There's no cheek weld for me. Its either crane my neck to the point where shooting 75rd became physically painful, or fix the low comb. I had enough and bought a Boyds AT One when they had their sale last week.
    The parkerized finish is, well.. kinda cheap. I've had surface rust on it by the time I got home from the range in the summer humidity around here.
    The extractor spring may take some tweaking. I shoot mine suppressed and the blowback and filth that gets into the chamber made extraction impossible. I used this guy's site to diagnose and correct my issue.

For the $240 I paid from the LGS, I'm happy. Its about as accurate as my CZ455, but the CZ is a much nicer gun (and the pricetag reflects this). They shoot about the same, with the proper ammo.

Basic Member
    I use mine for long distance shooting out to 300yds. It's a lot of fun.

I use a fixed 16x SWFA scope that has over 100MOA of elevation adjustment. EGW custom cut the scope base to 40MOA. The combination allows me to shoot at 50yds to 300yds and stay in the reticle crosshairs. CCI Standard Velocity. Hearing the delayed ding on steel at 300yds is a hoot.

Basic Member
    I have shot more than a dozen different 22lr loads through my FV-SR and the most accurate is Federal Blazer ammo. This includes 4 match/target/competition loads that cost a lot more than the cheapie Blazers. Also the high velocity ammo including CCI stingers and Browning 1435fps shoot terrible out of my rifle but shoot the best out of my SR22. The M22 Winchesters shoot good and the Golden bullets shoot well although about 1 in 10 Goldens have a hard bolt close and 1 Aguilar occasionally has a hard bolt close. All groups open up after 100+ shots telling me to clean the barrel. I can shoot 50 Blazers at 50yds into a 3/4'' hole with just 4 or 5 flyers outside and I like the accuracy of this rifle a lot.

Basic Member
    I shot today and everything changed on what bullets shot the most accurate. I did a better job of cleaning the barrel and this could be the reason or maybe the barrel is breaking in or it could be there was less wind today. Before I report on accuracy again I will have a lot more data so I can better evaluate what the gun is capable of. It seems to be shooting better.

Love mine. Fairly consistent with most standard velocity or subsonic ammo. I have good results with all Eley loads and CCI sv. Great for groundhogs out to 75 yds with Eley subsonic hp. As Marine said, ringing steel with a suppressed 22 at 200 or 300 yards is a lot of fun. Since I've been shooting so much more, I did start to have extraction issues. I polished everything and cleaned everything, but until I crimped the retainer clip to give it more tension, I was still having issues. Now it is back to normal. thanks to all of the tips on various other threads.

Very accurate IMO. Lots of good things going on with this rifle in a very affordable package. There is a widespread extraction issue that seems to be fixed for many with the replacement parts from Savage. I am still working the bugs out of mine but the trigger and accuracy are more than I expected from a budget .22lr rifle. My FV-SR really likes CCI mini-mags.

Basic Member
    Add an Apachee trigger kit, you won’t regret it. I’ve been beating on this rifle since 2012 and have no regrets, but I am now on the quest for more accuracy so I’m looking to upgrade platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I dug out my 10-22 and shot it and now will sell it because I did not enjoy shooting it. Hard to load the magazine, horrible trigger, jams and is not accurate at all compared to my FV-SR. I am having so much fun shooting my little Savage that my other guns are being neglected. I'm spoiled because a 1/2'' group at 50 yards is no big deal and even most of the cheap ammo is under 1''. My brother couldn't stand it and just bought my gun in the B series.

I took my FV SR and removed the factory tupperware stock. I had a MK II G youth stock laying around and mounted the FV SR in that, it took a little sanding on the barrel channel but the fit is perfect. While sanding it I said what the hell and sanded it down to the bare wood and put on a light coat of stain. I think I have a new favorite 22 bolt gun.

Basic Member
    CCI SV is now my go to ammo as it consistently shoots small groups and is $3 a box. High velocity does not shoot as well as standard velocity across the board but I shot CCI mini-mag 36 gr. hp and it is the best HV so far.

I really like my Savage MKll FV-SR 22LR. I have tried several different types of ammo. The CCI SV will group the best by far in my MKll. At 50yd.

Basic Member
    Old thread but I wanted to add for anyone else considering the Mark II, mine is hands-down the most accurate rimfire I have ever owned. I keep record of boxes/shots and to date I have put 1400-1450 down the pipe without an issue.
    Mine favors:
    SK (the most consistent) Yellow Bx
    CCI Blazers (yep, cheapie stuff -but with fliers) of certain lots
    Wolf Match
    RWS

Keep your bullet choice in regards to velocity on the lower end and mine shines with 1/2 MOA consistently (50 yds). With many groups better. I have video'ed a 50 yrd session to prove to some buddies that you can shoot .22 casings at fifty yards fairly constantly. But with a challenging twist- POA is the case primer BASE pointing at you. It is that accurate.
    Fit and finish seems in line with it's new and relatively low cost. Unlike CZ or others that seem much more refined, the Mark II is a superbly accurate, low-cost option.
    I like mine.

Savage Mark II FV-SR Chassis

I really wanted a chassis, but didn't want to drop $400 on one so I machined my own on my manual mill. Sub MOA? yes Heavy? yes worth it? yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Henchmen View Post
    I really wanted a chassis, but didn't want to drop $400 on one so I machined my own on my manual mill. Sub MOA? yes Heavy? yes worth it? yes!

pics or it didn't happen.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

75 yards 40Gr. Norma Tac 22 1100FPS.
    Last edited by Henchmen; 12-26-2020 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Picture did not post

Basic Member
    Bought a MarkII FV- SR, and a cheap scope and went to the range yesterday. So far pleasantly surprised. Only 20 rounds fired but barrel seems to be shaping up. Tried federal auto Match, some old American eagle and some CCI SV. SV stuff seemed most accurate but will need more testing. Accutrigger was set from the factory at nice 2 lbs or so not going to mess with it. Not pleased with the scope purchase but it was more my failing That is why I quit at 20 rounds and will see about swapping some stuff around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast