Thread: Model 1917 .380 markings

Model 1917 .380 markings

I posted this question about 18 months ago with no real results so I thought I'd ask again in case there are new members that may have the answer. My 1917 is a .380, no lanyard ring, brown plastic grips with the Indian Head/Raised Rifle logo. Legend is correct for the time period - mfg about 1928 (sn: 29168B). The are 2 marks that I can not find info on. Both are shallow and larger than the factory markings. On the left side of the frame is PQ. L-511 and on the backstrap this is R99. Any help with the markings would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetE8USN View Post
    I posted this question about 18 months ago with no real results so I thought I'd ask again in case there are new members that may have the answer. My 1917 is a .380, no lanyard ring, brown plastic grips with the Indian Head/Raised Rifle logo. Legend is correct for the time period - mfg about 1928 (sn: 29168B). The are 2 marks that I can not find info on. Both are shallow and larger than the factory markings. On the left side of the frame is PQ. L-511 and on the backstrap this is R99. Any help with the markings would be greatly appreciated.
    A picture is worth a thousand words, trying to answer your question without pictures it's close to Impossible. They sound like some sort of proof marks from the country that the gun was imported into. If you'll provide some pictures maybe we can help you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I would write the Savage Historical Department send them the make model and serial number, for 35.00 they will send you on their letterhead information regarding the date the pistol was manufactured the date at left the warehouse and who it shipped to, that may very well tell you what those inscriptions represent. The pistol was probably purchased by a company and used in their security Force.

https://www.savagearms.com/customer-...ical-services/

No Historic Research

Quote Originally Posted by lkgmadmax View Post
    I would write the Savage Historical Department send them the make model and serial number, for 35.00 they will send you on their letterhead information regarding the date the pistol was manufactured the date at left the warehouse and who it shipped to, that may very well tell you what those inscriptions represent. The pistol was probably purchased by a company and used in their security Force.

https://www.savagearms.com/customer-...ical-services/

Thanks for the link. I followed it and the Savage web site says they can no longer do historical research on old firearms. They did provide the name and address of a gentleman that you could write to for possible help.....