Thread: Barrel contour?

Basic Member

Barrel contour?

Hey folks I need some advice. I’m wanting to buy a 7mm08 barrel. I don’t want a sporter barrel or a bull. I’d like something in between and somewhere around 24”-26”. Thanks in advance.

Team Savage
    Nice choice of caliber. If it were me - and I've come close to pulling the trigger on this a few times - I would get the Shaw barrel on Midway USA. The trouble I've had now with both a Stevens and a Savage 7mm-08 barrel is the chambers are tight. They show pressure signs long before my Tikka does and well before book max loads. Not sure why that is, but I can't deny it. I can safely take my Tikka to or even a bit beyond book max and still be just fine. The Stevens and Savage barrels show 50-75 fps. more velocity and early pressure signs by comparison. I wish I could recommend Savage barrels in 7mm-08, but I'd look elsewhere.

Team Savage
    Contact Northland shooter supply, they will have what you need

Basic Member
    You want something like a med palma contour or a Rem Varmint. They are heavier than sporters but not overly heavy.

Basic Member
    Manufacturer is going to depend on budget (Shaw, CBI, Shilen, etc).
    Once you've decided on the manufacturer based on your budget- just select from their standard available profiles. They're all different....

Basic Member
    Savage magnum contour is nice.

Basic Member
    Hey thanks fellas. I know budget will have the last word but I’ll just have to save to get what I want.

Here's Shilen's contours for Savage Pre-fits:

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

I've got a 24" S8 profile in 7mm-08, and it's a great shooter, but probably a bit heavier than you're looking for... Rifle was built for static position (bench/prone), and geared up (scope, bipod, silencer, empty mag) it tips the scale @ 18.25lbs. My guess, you'd probably want something like an S7.

Basic Member
    Thanks for that link phranque.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
    Here's Shilen's contours for Savage Pre-fits:

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

I've got a 24" S8 profile in 7mm-08, and it's a great shooter, but probably a bit heavier than you're looking for... Rifle was built for static position (bench/prone), and geared up (scope, bipod, silencer, empty mag) it tips the scale @ 18.25lbs. My guess, you'd probably want something like an S7.
    Dan Lilja has an article about barrel weight calculations, and even better, at the end of the article there is a link to download and Excel calculator you can use to compare barrel weight for standard contours or custom contours.

http://riflebarrels.com/barrel-weigh...oured-barrels/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I built a Howa with a Bartlein barrel with a 3b contour which is the same contour as a #5 Shilen. I wanted a heavier barrel but not a bull. The muzzle diameter is.720 at 26 inches. It’s heavy but the majority of the weight is between your hands and not hanging out in front. The profile is similar to a Light Palma contour. Just look it over. The decision is ultimately yours. Mine shoots very well for a hunting rifle. I’ve just started load development and I’m getting 3 tenths inch 5 shot groups At 100. It’s Chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Team Savage
    If you aren't going to shoot long range, go with a short fat barrel, like a 20 inch heavy varmint. There is a reason the BR guys shoot short barrels.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    If you aren't going to shoot long range, go with a short fat barrel, like a 20 inch heavy varmint. There is a reason the BR guys shoot short barrels.

Do you think that might also have something to do with meeting the weight requirments?

Team Savage
    Yobuck....... short and fat or long and thin that weight the same. Always go with the short fat. Unless you are trying to stay supersonic at 1000 yards.