Thread: New to me 110E 30-06

New to me 110E 30-06

New member here and pretty much a novice when it comes to bolt actions, but not guns in general.

I'll post some pics later but just picked up a 110E RH in the E980 range (early 89 from the date sticky?) in 30-06.
    Tasco 3-9 X 50, Weaver rings and Weaver bases. $275 OTD.
    Was really looking for a .270 but went with the 110 because I knew barrel swaps are relatively painless.

Only see one small scratch near the front sight on the barrel and a little nick in the wood near the front sling stud. Other than that it looks like it spent most of its 29 years in a safe or cabinet.
    No marks on the bolt and the bolt head lug still has most of its bluing. Don't have a trigger gauge but can't be more than 3-4 pounds, no take up and maybe 1/8" over travel.

The local sporting goods store had Winchester PSP 180, 165 and 150 on sale for cheap ($14 / 20), picked some up and next weekend will see how it does. Only thing I knew for sure is I will be refinishing the stock.
    And probably a pillar and glass bed job.
    And a new scope.
    And....

Basic Member
    Ooh! You're in trouble now! Seriously, the 110 series is the Ruger 10/22 / TC Encore of the bolt action rifle world. Too many options. Very easy to work on and generally not a fussy rifle to load for regardless of caliber.
    You're gonna have a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    Ooh! You're in trouble now! Seriously, the 110 series is the Ruger 10/22 / TC Encore of the bolt action rifle world. Too many options. Very easy to work on and generally not a fussy rifle to load for regardless of caliber.
    You're gonna have a good time!
    I was kicking myself a few weeks ago when I let a near mint S&W 1500 in .270 slip by at a gun show.
    This one came in at around half what that would have been plus the 110 was no tax and private sale. Those 2 alone put points in the plus column.

I've gone through and checked everything that I can. Cleaned and oiled what needed to be cleaned and oiled, which wasn't much.

I'm always leery of firing a used gun the first time. Thought here is to take a round, pull the bullet, dump the powder and cycle just on the primer. Goes pop and we're good.
    Unless there is a better way to check firing pin engagement. Don't really want to mess with the cocking piece and try to get it into the fired position.

I did the backyard head space check with a round and then .003 of tape as a go / no go check and it checked out ok.

Other than that, just cruising through the forum and trying to learn as much as I can. I like old guns, wood and metal. Not keen on tupperware or I would have considered the Cabela's 12 FV when they were $369 with the $100 rebate. In fact, an 89 Savage 110 is one of the newer guns I own.