Thread: Savage NRA 19 22 Short only value?

Basic Member

Savage NRA 19 22 Short only value?

Ran across a Savage model 19 NRA that only fires .22 shorts. First I ever saw. Are they considered​ more valuable than then the .22 long rifle variety. Would think so, but by how much? It was not that nice of an example so maybe next time. I would like to know when and if I ever see one again. Thanks for any feedback.

I've heard of early 1903's that shot shorts only but never a 19 nra.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Quite rare, but I don't know if that relates to much of a jump in value, there doesn't seem to be many collectors of these 'serious' enough to pay much of a premium for one, and a collector would want the best condition. Looking at it as a shooter it might be less desirable. I have two, an early version that was made from 1919 to about 1923 and a 1923 version, I have seen other examples of the early version in 22 short, but the 1923 version in have is one of only two in 22 short I have heard of. I did not pay much over what I would have considered fair for a 22 Long Rifle for either (but I wouldn't sell them for what I paid). Mine are in average used condition.

Some of my Savage's in 22 Short only -

Last edited by Sav22; 02-27-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: added pictures

Basic Member
    Thanks for the response, both of you. The rifle I was referring to was not much to write home about, it actually was being sold as a parts gun. Just caught my eye being a"short only" version. Nice group of rifles there Mr. Sav22. As for myself I would not say that I am a collector. I like to resurrect the old forgotten Savage rifle, clean them up, fix and find missing parts and get them functioning once again. The plan was to do this and sell them off and buy more . The selling part I am not that good at, at last count 6 NRA 19 s. Looking at another with a Marbles S5S tang sight, have a few S6S on some 23s. This is the first S5S I have ever seen. And so it keeps going.

Basic Member

Savage 19 NRA in S-L-LR

I have come across a Savage 19 NRA that is in nice condition, someone has cut the fore end to about 2-3 inches from the barrel band making it look like s sportster model apparently it was a military training rifle due to start and end of production time,(1943 to 1944) shoots (S-L-LR). It has no magazine for the rifle and was shot in single shot only. I'm looking for at least one magazine for the rifle two would fantastic, If unable to locate any () I will probably end up selling it through the various gun selling sites on the internet. Cleaned up it would be a pretty rifle.
    So all you collectors retired gun smiths people who love guns anti bama people please take the time to look through though old coffee cans and drawers full of old parts and find me a magazine or two.. Thanks for any help out there people. Dennis