Thread: Please help me critique my very first reloads.

Basic Member

Please help me critique my very first reloads.

Went to the range today. Shot my very first reloads in my 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. I loaded 4 batches, all using Hornady 140 GR ELDs. All loaded the same, except charge weights. All groups shot at 100 yds.

First batch: Hornady 140 Gr ELDs over 37.6 grs of H4350

Second batch: Hornady 140 Gr ELDs over 39.6 of H4350

Third batch: Hornady 140 Gr ELDs over 40.5 of H4350

Fourth batch: Hornady 140 Gr ELDs over 41.0 of H4350

Any thoughts, opinions would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    that first batch looked mighty impressive, your other groups are not bad but burning more powder for no gain.

Take what you think are your best and move to 300.

Normally one would use less of a gap between loads. Some use like .4 of a grain between loads. Even less after finding a node and fine tuning the final load..

Basic Member
    I wasn't sure how much to vary the charge, so I just picked loads as listed in the manual. I was mainly concerned about learning the processes and creating safe ammo, and to be accurate. I will learn more before the next batch.

Basic Member
    I Look at the book for the velocity I would like to obtain and work around there, with all due precautions. I have no interest in 37gr of h4350. You are well on your way.

Basic Member
    That's good work! Looks like your rifle isn't picky about loads, good consistency. That's the mark of a good one in my experience.

I've been reloading for 30 or more years. The more I learn the less I know. You'll mess around and get those a little tighter if you work at it, but not much. If you're like me, about the time the barrel is shot out you'll find "the load".

You're jumping too much in powder charge. Load in 0.5gr or 0.4 or 0.3 gr increments.

Basic Member
    In starting a new load development I first find the CBTO measurement touching lands and work off that. I pick a fairly stout powder charge about 2/3 up the scale and begin by setting the bullet IN the lands by .010, then work my way out in .005 increments to at least .025 off. Shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yds and find the best group.

Once you're in the ball park for jump, then it's time to find the powder charge that'll perform best. Decide what distance you'll be shooting this load. If it's going to be mostly 100yds, a load on the slow side will probably do best, as faster is not always better. For long distance, a load near the top will be desirable. Be sure to do your homework with a ballistic drop chart so you know your target speed at the muzzle. Load in .3 grain increments from slow to faster, and most importantly set up a target with 1 inch dots along a horizontal line, 18 to 24 inches wide. Don't shoot separate targets.

Once you have your load refined for 100 yds, move to 200 and then 300 and refine some more.

Buy good measuring tools, OAL gage, Headspace comparator, powder scale, and read everything you can get your hands on.

Good Luck, and keep the questions coming.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I pretty much agree with everything the previous posters have said. Too large a spread unless you are just chrono'ing single shots to get an idea of velocity. I will do jumps of .5 to check for over pressure indicators when working up to my target velocity. For example if I plan on shooting the load at 800 I don't want the bullet going trans sonic at 600 so half the load range in the book may be useless to me. I will start low and load 1 round each at .5 increments checking for pressure signs after each round until I get to the velocity I need the drop down and do .2 or .3 incs.

Grats though, looks like you have a shooter that is not real picky and likes those Hornadys

Basic Member
    Work up and down in lesser variations in the first groups.

Q- Did you clean your barrel between each powder groupings?

Basic Member
    My Savage 12 .204 has .200 free bore, drove myself crazy seating out to the lands (couldn't). Used factory OAL spec, shoots farther than I can (400+ yards) hitting anything I aim at. I would be happy with the first group.