Thread: New model 110 Storm 270 WSM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New model 110 Storm 270 WSM

I just got my new 110 Storm in 270 WSM. I like the revamped stock features and the Accutrigger is crisp. I only have a few rounds through and accuracy looks like it will be typical Savage excellent. I do have an issue though as I believe is what a lot of times plagues the short mags and that's feeding. The very first round I tried to cycle out of the magazine didn't feed. As the round pushed up the feed ramp the rear tilts down underneath the bolt face, obviously not pushing into the chamber. I am using hand loads at exactly saami spec., 2.86" and I did ensure the mag was fully snapped into place. It looks as though the feed ramp is too steep and or the mag is too short. I will be talking to Savage this week in hopes of a positive solution.

Keep us in the loop!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Keep us in the loop!
    I emailed Savages SVC dept yesterday and did not hear from them today so I grabbed a pair of pliers and slightly bent the feed lips on the mag out a little bit to allow the round to sit higher. It seems to have done the trick. It feeds just fine if you work it quickly. Slowly and the round pops up and nearly out of the ejection port. I tried five different loads today using the Barnes 140 gr TSX and Hornady 145 ELD-X. Using medium & max loads of RL22 the Barnes was poor and Hornady about 1". Will certainly keep experimenting. If anyone has good loads for 270 WSM please forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqdqo View Post
    I emailed Savages SVC dept yesterday and did not hear from them today so I grabbed a pair of pliers and slightly bent the feed lips on the mag out a little bit to allow the round to sit higher. It seems to have done the trick. It feeds just fine if you work it quickly. Slowly and the round pops up and nearly out of the ejection port. I tried five different loads today using the Barnes 140 gr TSX and Hornady 145 ELD-X. Using medium & max loads of RL22 the Barnes was poor and Hornady about 1". Will certainly keep experimenting. If anyone has good loads for 270 WSM please forward.
    I got my best velocity using RamShot Hunter when I had my 270 WIN and I was shooting the 145 ELDX with a MV of 2900 FPS out of my 22" barrel. Can't remember what the charge weight was however. Accuracy was pretty good too.

The most accurate load was using H4831SC, it just didn't give me the velocity I was looking for.

I was gonna say to open up the magazine feed lips so the cartridge sits higher. But I'm too late.

Team Savage
    I had to do the same with the lips of my internal mag on a Stevens 200. First two rounds fed like butter, but the third did exactly what you described.

I just got my new 110 Storm in 270 WSM. I like the revamped stock features and the Accutrigger is crisp. I only have a few rounds through and accuracy looks like it will be typical Savage excellent. I do have an issue though as I believe is what a lot of times plagues the short mags and that's feeding. The very first round I tried to cycle out of the magazine didn't feed. As the round pushed up the feed ramp the rear tilts down underneath the bolt face, obviously not pushing into the chamber. I am using hand loads at exactly saami spec., 2.86" and I did ensure the mag was fully snapped into place. It looks as though the feed ramp is too steep and or the mag is too short. I will be talking to Savage this week in hopes of a positive solution.

I sent savage an on line service request over 2 weeks ago. Haven't heard a peep from them.

I sent savage an on line service request over 2 weeks ago. Haven't heard a peep from them.
    March 11, never got a response from Savage.

March 11, never got a response from Savage.
    That's what they make telephones for. Yes, contrary to popular belief they can do more than text and surf social media - you can actually call people on them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    That's what they make telephones for. Yes, contrary to popular belief they can do more than text and surf social media - you can actually call people on them.
    To bad they don't respond with systems they put in place to perform so called customer service. Why make them available if they don't use them.

Basic Member
    I waited a week for a response to a service request, then I called. The Savage Rep helped me with everything I needed. I should have called in the first place. I'm very pleased with the response I got on the phone. I've called twice in the past year and response has been excellent both times.