Thread: Savage mk II G wooden stock accuracy

Savage mk II G wooden stock accuracy

Hallo gents... I am the proud?? owner of a Savage mk II G with the wooden stock. I had some teething problems with the rifle and Savage Arms gracefully responded by supplying me with a complete extractor kit... problem solved.

Then magazine feeding problems arose... after countless attemps at bending and reprofiling of the magazine feed lips, stretching of magazine feeder spring and cutting the magazine follower "legs" shorter, the rifle now feeds well from the magazine, and stoppages are now a rare occurence.

However... I struggle with accuracy... at 50 m 5 shot and 10 shot groups average 2 to 3 inch groups.. .

Yes... the barrel is free floating
    Yes... the telescope and mounts are rigid and secure
    yes... I sandbagged the rifle fore and aft whilst shooting
    yes... the rifle and bore was properly cleaned and very well maintained
    yes.. the trigger breaks cleanly at 3.3 lbs
    yes... it was a lovely sunny windless morning.. cool and without any noticeable mirage
    yes.. I tried 8 different types of ammo.. Lapua Centre X was the best performer.. 3 x 5/8 of an inch at 50 yds BUT: here follows the question:

WHY IS THE FIRST SHOT ALWAYS A FLYER AT 4-O-CLOCK iow low and off to the right.. shots 2,3,4 and 5 cluster together wit bullet holes touching, irrespective hot or cold barrel.

I shall really appreciate honest and valuable input re. my question... and YES... I did load only shots 2,3, 4 and 5 (to omit the flyer, shot no 1) but that did'nt help either.

Regards and keep the lead on target..

Basic Member
    Hennie, how far back on the barrel is the free floating? My Mk II was doing the same and almost to that extent. I made sure the barrel was not touching back to the step in the barrel, that helped. I have been told that sometimes with 22 ammo, it may be necessary to shoot 15-20 rounds thru the barrel every time you change brand, before shooting for groups. The coatings on different brands affects accuracy, or so I was told. Check screw torque on the action screws, that was my major problem, I have talked to Savage and was told 30-35 inch pounds on my laminated stock but that seems awful strong. I backed off to about 20 Inch pounds and torqued with a wrench. My gun is much better now approximately 1/2 by 3/4 inch at 50 yds. BTW what part of Namibia are you in? My wife and I were in your country for a plains game hunt about 5 years ago, If I wasn't so old we would love to make another trip.

Hallo and thank you for your response... i did remove the action from the stock.. right underneath the the receiver at the point where the barrel is attached I saw some shiny pressure spots... I have now applied some bedding at this point and then I did fit 2 spacers under the rear action screw to align the barrel and receiver in a straight line in the stock. I must now revisit the shooting range to see if there is any improvement. will report on the results.

I am in Okahandja... 70 km north of Windhoek.. I had to regularly assit in the culling of game and used the .22 for the coup de grace if neccessary.. I also use it on guinea fowl for ration supplies for the farmhands. They are not very impressed with the high number of misses, that is why I need this rifle trued up iro accuracy. Thank you for your response again and all the best of wishes to accompany you... perhaps you will revisit?