Hallo gents... I am the proud?? owner of a Savage mk II G with the wooden stock. I had some teething problems with the rifle and Savage Arms gracefully responded by supplying me with a complete extractor kit... problem solved.

Then magazine feeding problems arose... after countless attemps at bending and reprofiling of the magazine feed lips, stretching of magazine feeder spring and cutting the magazine follower "legs" shorter, the rifle now feeds well from the magazine, and stoppages are now a rare occurence.

However... I struggle with accuracy... at 50 m 5 shot and 10 shot groups average 2 to 3 inch groups.. .

Yes... the barrel is free floating
Yes... the telescope and mounts are rigid and secure
yes... I sandbagged the rifle fore and aft whilst shooting
yes... the rifle and bore was properly cleaned and very well maintained
yes.. the trigger breaks cleanly at 3.3 lbs
yes... it was a lovely sunny windless morning.. cool and without any noticeable mirage
yes.. I tried 8 different types of ammo.. Lapua Centre X was the best performer.. 3 x 5/8 of an inch at 50 yds BUT: here follows the question:

WHY IS THE FIRST SHOT ALWAYS A FLYER AT 4-O-CLOCK iow low and off to the right.. shots 2,3,4 and 5 cluster together wit bullet holes touching, irrespective hot or cold barrel.

I shall really appreciate honest and valuable input re. my question... and YES... I did load only shots 2,3, 4 and 5 (to omit the flyer, shot no 1) but that did'nt help either.

Regards and keep the lead on target..