Thread: Choate ultimate varmint stock

Choate ultimate varmint stock

So I'm starting a thread to give my experience installing the stock. They really don't come with any good instructions, but then again I really didn't read to much into it. I installed a 12fv into this stock so other models may differ. When installing both the provided action screws, they needed no modification (the action screws included with the stock). This stock is set up for a blind mag which luckily the 12fv has. I installed using all the parts which were in the 12fv stock including the the j clip which rides underneath the action securing the back of the blind mag in place. I don't believe the clip is actually touching the action due to the aluminum v bedding block. ( I'm Simi worried that I should not install the j clip but there is a slot cut out for it in the bedding block so I figured why not.) All in all I'm very happy with the fit and finish with the stock. I will say it is now a heavy set up but I'm ok with that. I never plan on taking this hunting so I'll look at the weight as recoil reduction. All I have is one picture if more are requested i don't mind taking them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I'd like to sit behind one for a try. How does it compare to the boyd's on your axis?

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    I'd like to sit behind one for a try. How does it compare to the boyd's on your axis?
    Honestly it's a little like comparing apples to oranges, but there are some differences. The choate is more ridged than the Boyd's pro varmint even with the pillar bedding. The Boyds seems to be a little more comfortable in the grip area. I'm used to laying my thumb on the right side of my rifle and I'm right handed. The way the choate stock is shaped in the grip area it is not comfortable to rest my thumb that way. That being said if I wrap my thumb around the grip than the stock is comfortable. I am having to use the high cheek riser with the 20moa base and the warne knock off low bases. I do like the adjustability of the choate over the base pro varmint if I were to do it over again I would have ordered the pro varmint with a adjustable cheek riser.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    nice looking stock..been looking at the ultimate sniper,but I think I like your set up better..
    can I ask where you got it? how does the bipod work.is it a solid fix? is the cheek adjustable?
    love the black color over the green,,,

Basic Member
    I really like that stock. I have one on my target rifle in 6.5x55, and just bought another one for a target rifle I am building in 308. I really like the adjusting "nut" or whatever you call the mono-pod like nub on the bottom rear of the stock. Makes it handy to make small adjustments when the front is setting on sandbags.
    I have sent both of mine to CDI to be inletted for their bottom metal and currently use the magpul aics mags.

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    nice looking stock..been looking at the ultimate sniper,but I think I like your set up better..
    can I ask where you got it? how does the bipod work.is it a solid fix? is the cheek adjustable?
    love the black color over the green,,,
    I got it from ken Arnold.com the bipod is afixed to a sling swivel stud on a sliding locking rail on the for arm

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    I got it from ken Arnold.com the bipod is afixed to a sling swivel stud on a sliding locking rail on the for arm

How big is the barrel chanell? will it fit a bull barrel?

I don't have a exact channel measurement but the 12fv has a heave varmint contour and this leave plenty of room to spare. If the barrel is a zero contour straight cut barrel then there would still be room.

Basic Member
    I currently have the same stock on an older 110FP 308W. While it may not be the prettiest it is a VERY good stock. Turned that OK rifle into a great rifle. AS for the barrel channel. It will free float a 1.250" barrel. ie ANY contour you want to screw on. Another plus other than the bedding block is the compartment in the pistol grip. I filled mine with #6 birdshot to add weight to the rig and now that 308 kicks like a heavy 223.

Team Savage
    does it have the aluminum channel like some of the other choate (bedding that is)
    I sent an email asking about them but no reply yet..they don't offermuch information
    on there web site.

If you are referring to this all choate stocks have this to my knowledge including this stock

Basic Member
    I've got 80 rounds through my .223 12FV with the Tupperware stock. It is shooting around .75" 5-shot groups at 100-yards. Seeing this stock has me itching to give it a whirl. Think I'll put another 50-rounds through it this weekend and see if groups are tightening before I make the upgrade...

Team Savage
    I see midway arms has them as well..only a little bit more money..damn pigs

Combatstocks.com has them as well for only about 1$ more shipped. I don't like the ergonomics of the factory stocks I like more of a vertical pistol grip when shooting.

Time for pictures

Basic Member
    does it have the aluminum channel like some of the other choate (bedding that is)
    I sent an email asking about them but no reply yet..they don't offermuch information
    on there web site.
    Just give them a call. They'll actually answer the phone unlike some places I won't mention.. When I called them trying to get answers they were very helpful. The bedding and rigidity of the stock material on these stocks is great for what they cost. It's not a McMillan, but you could probably stock two or three rifles for the price of one McMillan stock and shoot just as well.

Team Savage
    ORDERED ONE from the same place you got yours..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    So I'm starting a thread to give my experience installing the stock. They really don't come with any good instructions, but then again I really didn't read to much into it. I installed a 12fv into this stock so other models may differ. When installing both the provided action screws, they needed no modification (the action screws included with the stock). This stock is set up for a blind mag which luckily the 12fv has. I installed using all the parts which were in the 12fv stock including the the j clip which rides underneath the action securing the back of the blind mag in place. I don't believe the clip is actually touching the action due to the aluminum v bedding block. ( I'm Simi worried that I should not install the j clip but there is a slot cut out for it in the bedding block so I figured why not.) All in all I'm very happy with the fit and finish with the stock. I will say it is now a heavy set up but I'm ok with that. I never plan on taking this hunting so I'll look at the weight as recoil reduction. All I have is one picture if more are requested i don't mind taking them.

Which Item number is this at Kens? Is it 22-06-05 for the blind mag?

http://www.kenarnoldcsa.com/savageva...eedrifles.aspx
    This is the stock I bought.

Was finally able to shoot the rifle setup and this was the best group of the day. I would say this rifle is a shooter

Basic Member
    NICE! What ammo was this specifically?

They were handloads. Specifically 155gr Barnes match burners. Pushed by varget in Peterson small rifle primer brass.