Well all of this started with a 12FV in 6.5 CM that shoots remarkably well as a factory gun. I set it up to hunt and do some longer range plinking. I've documented a few small issues that I struggled with on this forum, but all seem to be resolved with a little work or in one case a slight bump in my resizing die. I've been pleased with hitting plates out to 1,000 yds. without difficulty as a factory gun.

I decided to buy a Boyd's stock after I hit the range one day after removing the stock earlier in the week. I noticed that my groups were about 1.5" right of where I had zeroed the last time, and the only thing I could presume was that by removing and replacing the stock caused a POI shift. I use a torque wrench for the action screws so that was presumably not a factor. Had to be from removing/replacing the stock.

So, I spend $250 on a Boyd's pro varmint with Limbsaver pad and adjustable cheekpiece painted black. It arrives Monday. I had decided that I was going to pillar bed and bed the action and recoil lug. I read a ton of info on how to do it and go for it. Yesterday I finish the job and everything comes out pretty well. Had to clean it up a little and open the pillars just a touch for the action screws, but overall not the end of the world.

While cleaning it up for the final fitting, I was using some denatured alcohol to remove residue and some play-do I used as a dam in places. I hear a tiny pop noise. I check the stock and between the action screws is a tiny hairline crack in the paint. Oh no! Heart sinks. I sand it down and I don't really see a crack in the laminate. Almost seems like the paint cracked or maybe part of the laminate is ever so slightly cracked, but hard to say. Like I said, it's small but runs between the action screw holes.

So do I sand it down a little and use some JB Weld as insurance? I can't send it back as I assume there is no warranty once you drill it for pillars. I'm assuming this has something to do with drilling the holes for pillars as the hairline crack is right in between the action screw holes on the bottom of the stock.

Would you trust it to fix it, toss it, or see if anyone wants a project piece? I'm now really tempted at getting an MDT chassis, but hate the idea of dropping that much coin on a budget rifle project. I probably should have left well enough alone and just used the factory stock, but I hate the idea of a POI change when the stock is removed for cleaning.