Thread: Scoping A New Left Handed Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1

Scoping A New Left Handed Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1

Greetings!

I just joined the Savage crowd with my first centerfire rifle, a left-handed Model 10/110 Predator Hunter Max 1 in 223. I'm looking now to scope this beauty. I will be using it primarily at the local range, where we have 100 and 200 yard targets. I may also take it out hunting, as this is a retirement gift to myself. Like I said, this is my first centerfire rifle, but it's not my first nor only rifle. I'll be retired so I'll have lots of play time!

While I'm at it, is there anything else I need? I'll be getting a case, of course, but should I be looking into a stock, bi-pod, benchrest, etc.? Thanks!

That all depends on how serious you want to get. Hunting small game with a 223 is a lot of fun (Prairie dogs, squirrels, fox, coyote, etc...) for shooting out to 200 yards, you don't need too much optic. As my eyes have gotten older, I find that the 3-9 scopes just don't give me enough magnification anymore, so I moved to a 4-12 for my hunting rifle.

In regards to stocks, I'd shoot it first to see how it performs, but most of the Synthetic stocks get tossed and a good laminate at the least usually gets put on.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    That all depends on how serious you want to get. Hunting small game with a 223 is a lot of fun (Prairie dogs, squirrels, fox, coyote, etc...) for shooting out to 200 yards, you don't need too much optic. As my eyes have gotten older, I find that the 3-9 scopes just don't give me enough magnification anymore, so I moved to a 4-12 for my hunting rifle.

In regards to stocks, I'd shoot it first to see how it performs, but most of the Synthetic stocks get tossed and a good laminate at the least usually gets put on.
    Thanks. I'm not real crazy about a lot of power, and I' using a 3-9x Redfield Revolution on my Ruger K77/22 VBZ (not left-handed, though). I like the idea of 4-12 or even 3-12, and I'm partial to American made. Of course, that includes a bigger price tag, but I think the rifle may be worth it. I sure hope it is! I'll play with the plastic stock for a while...can't afford to change it right now anyway. I just like to "plan"...

A good 3-12x or 4-12x will serve you well and even with a 40mm objective will still have a big enough exit pupil at max magnification to give you a bright sight picture for low light hunting purposes (40mm/12x = 3.33mm exit pupil).

The new Bushnell Engage scopes have very good glass in them from what I've seen so far. They offer a 4-12x40mm with 1" main tube (sku# REN41240DW) and a 3-12x42mm with 30mm main tube (sku# REN31242DG), both of which have side-focus and the Deploy MOA reticle which is nice and fine for target shooting yet offers holdovers and some ranging capability. I'd opt for the latter just to get the 30mm tube for more internal adjustment should you ever decide to start shooting further out. Should be able to get it for around $300 if you shop around online.

Leupold has their new VX-Freedom line that's replacing the VX-1 and VX-2 lines. Haven't tried one yet so I can't say how they compare to the old lines, but Leupy's always offered a pretty good product.

There are also those scopes geared more towards the AR15 market that have calibrated reticles or turrets for the .223 cartridge that might be of interest. Most are calibrated for use with mil-surp 55gr ammo traveling at around 3240fps if I remember right. Bushnell has their Tactical AR 3-12x40 (sku# AR931240) that would fall into this category. Nikon has their M-223 line of scopes that fall into this category. Leupold has the Mark AR MOD 1 4-12x40mm, and several other makers like Vortex and Burris also offer similar setups.

These days if you spend $250 or more on an optic in this magnification range you're pretty much assured to get a good quality scope with a lifetime warranty. It's more of a matter of finding one with the right features that you like than it is having to worry about build quality. Stick with known name brands and you shouldn't have any issues, but if you do happen to get a bad one they have a solid warranty and will make it right (Leupold and Vortex seem to be best with customer service).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Above post gives some good info regarding scope that are on the current market. I would not be in a big hurry to replace the stock that came with your rifle. Those unfamiliar with the stock you have would do well to research the Accustock. I can say with certainty, these aren't your typical synthetic stocks. You made a good choice in models and if like others I know about, you are going to enjoy the excellent accuracy they're noted for.