Thread: Model 10 223 threaded barrel issue for suppressor

Model 10 223 threaded barrel issue for suppressor

Not sure if anyone else has ran into this issue, but I have a model 10 fcp-k sitting in a XLR chassis. I just got a Sig 223 titanium QD suppressor for it and an AR. The barrel is threaded 5/8-24 instead of the standard 1/2-28 for .22 cal. There are no adapters I can find that will allow me to use the suppressor on that barrel. Has anyone ever had one rethreaded or have any other ideas?!

Team Savage
    Look up John 11-87 on accurateshooter
    He sells 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapters

Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Look up John 11-87 on accurateshooter
    He sells 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 adapters
    Thanks, but there’s quite a few that make it from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24. I need it the other way but everyone says its to prevent putting a 22 cal suppressor on a 30 cal rifle. Savage just decided not to go with the standard 1/2-28 for my .223.

Basic Member
    Doesn't that suppressor require you to install a QD mount to your rifle to interface with the suppressor? If so, I would try calling sign to see if they have a 1/2-28 QD mount.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cmgoff View Post
    Doesn't that suppressor require you to install a QD mount to your rifle to interface with the suppressor? If so, I would try calling sign to see if they have a 1/2-28 QD mount.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Yes, it does. My savage is threaded factory 5/8-24 which is unusual for a 223. The standard Sig QD is 1/2-28 so that one doesn’t work. I ordered a Sig 5/8-24 QD from their 30 cal suppressor thinking it would work, but as a safety issue my 223 suppressor wont fit over a 30 cal mount so I’m stuck. Not sure if that is something a gunsmith could rethread or not either.

You could always trim the muzzle back and re thread it to 1/2-28.

I would call Savage and ask why the heck they put a 5/8-24 thread on a 223 barrel.

Should be able to be rethreaded, though you might loose an inch of barrel length if he can't get clean threads on the existing turned section and has to cut that section off. I'd still call Savage first though to see if they would warranty it. Sounds to me like a screw-up on their end where someone used the wrong program on the machining center when making the barrel. All of the outside machining (shank threads, contour, crown and muzzle threads) is done in one operation.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I would call Savage and ask why the heck they put a 5/8-24 thread on a 223 barrel.

Should be able to be rethreaded, though you might loose an inch of barrel length if he can't get clean threads on the existing turned section and has to cut that section off. I'd still call Savage first though to see if they would warranty it. Sounds to me like a screw-up on their end where someone used the wrong program on the machining center when making the barrel. All of the outside machining (shank threads, contour, crown and muzzle threads) is done in one operation.
    Not a screw up. All Savage FCP-K 223’s were threaded that way (big heavy fluted bull barrel). I wouldn’t be surprised if the newer SR models are also the same way. Just sucks for suppressing it! I guess I could put my Omega 30 cal can on it but that defeats the purpose of getting a dedicated 223 can!

Basic Member
    there is plenty of material to rethread to 1/2x28. minor diameter for 5/8x24 is .574" if my memory serves me right. major diameter for 1/2x28 is .500" it would have been the cheaper solution vs buying the 30 cal muzzle device but I understand it would have been a lot easier if the 30cal worked.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    there is plenty of material to rethread to 1/2x28. minor diameter for 5/8x24 is .574" if my memory serves me right. major diameter for 1/2x28 is .500" it would have been the cheaper solution vs buying the 30 cal muzzle device but I understand it would have been a lot easier if the 30cal worked.
    Found a local gunsmith to do it for $125. Hope it goes well!