Thread: Article: Deadeye Precision Scope Leveler

Article: Deadeye Precision Scope Leveler

Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

Basic Member
    Hotcakes, they will sell like hotcakes.

They probably did 13 years ago when they first hit the market and that review was written. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    They probably did 13 years ago when they first hit the market and that review was written. lol
    Just shows how anxious i am to keep abreast of all the great gotta have new stuff dosen't it. lol

LOL Guess so!

I was going through the back pages of the site yesterday and noticed a lot of the old articles that I transferred over when we made the switch to the vBulletin software didn't have comments enabled, so when I enabled them it automatically creates these comment threads for the comments to go into.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Article: Deadeye Precision Scope Leveler

I didn’t know about the precision scope leveler, but if you want to get real precise and you have a machinist level here is a good method. I was taught this buy a gunsmith in my area. While these tools probably cost about $100 you have a set of tools that can be very usefull for things other than leveling your optics.

A thick parallel bar or any straight steel bar can be used to create a reference plane parallel to the top of the rail. I used a pair of 123 blocks to rest the level above the scope and balanced above the breech. I loosely aligned the scope using the top of the elevation turret as a reference.

Then once you have thing close you can use a flashlight to shine light through the front of the scope. This will project the reticle backwards. LIse a plumb line to create an accurate reference and then tighten the screws on the scope rings. You may have to adjust the postion of the rifle if it tilts from level, but you should be able to keep the vertical element of the reticle perfectly alligned with the string.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Depends on wether you wear just a belt, or both a belt and suspenders to hold up your pants. lol
    NOTE, that I'm not saying it's wrong, to go to such extremes when mounting a scope.
    But after over 60 years of using them, including a considerable amount of extreme distance shooting with them, i do question the necessity.

If your eye is good enough to spot when the bubble is level they are probably good enough to spot when the reticle is vertical compared to a plumb line that has also been bore-sited. With almost zero investment in equipment (string & a small weight).

But gadgets are more fun.

I like the back-light concept ToolAA described/showed. I use a similar method to make sure the wings and horizontal stab of my model RC aircraft are square to each other.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Depends on wether you wear just a belt, or both a belt and suspenders to hold up your pants. lol
    NOTE, that I'm not saying it's wrong, to go to such extremes when mounting a scope.
    But after over 60 years of using them, including a considerable amount of extreme distance shooting with them, i do question the necessity.
    You are right there is always more than one way to skin a cat. It’s also easy to get carried away when doing things. A good machinist level is valuable tool. In my case I use those machinist tools in the shop for other things. I was trying to avoid buying another gadget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=ToolAA;429722]You are right there is always more than one way to skin a cat. It’s also easy to get carried away when doing things. A good machinist level is valuable tool. In my case I use those machinist tools in the shop for other things. I was trying to avoid buying another gadget.

Well i would agree that if your going to spend the extra time, then at least use good tools and not just some junk somebody sells.
    A line level is not intended for precise work, but good enough for its intended use, or even leveling up an RV so that the fridge works properly.
    Crazy as it sounds especially coming from me, i do carry a 12" torpedo level for leveling my shooting bench when hunting, and yes we always shoot from a bench. Again its not a precise level, and a line level would work also, but better than an eyeball when leveling the thing up on uneven terrain.
    Sort of the same line of thinking as is the cross hairs being off, but what good are perfectly plumb cross hairs if the gun is resting on something that isn't level?
    Yes yes in know, those other gadgets that stick out on the side of the scope that your supposed to be paying attention to while your shooting at the first deer you've gotten to shoot at in a few years, with a sharp rock poking into your belly. lol