Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Can’t budge barrel nut

Help. Can’t budge barrel nut

Attempting my first barrel swap for my 90’s era 110 action. Must be factory set because it won’t budge. Barrel just spins in the vise and it’s cranked really tight. Tried PB Blaster and tried heat. It just won’t budge. Any tips or tricks?

Basic Member
    Hit the barrel wrench sharply.

Basic Member
    You may need a better barrel vice or an action wrench, or you could just cut it off with a Dremel tool. I had to cut one off myself, (Dont Cut The Threads)!

dremel some cuts into the nut, don’t cut all the way through! Hit the wrench with a heavy deadblow hammer.

Might end up sacrificing the nut. I’m just nervous about cutting the threads. I’ve been beating on it with a dead blow.
    The vice is the Wheeler with the wood blocks

If you’re real careful you could cut around the circumference of the bbl nut just ahead of the receiver. It should come off real easy after that. Just make sure you stay out of the receiver face!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    If you’re real careful you could cut around the circumference of the bbl nut just ahead of the receiver. It should come off real easy after that. Just make sure you stay out of the receiver face!
    OK Thanks. I’m going let it soak overnight with the PB while I get up the nerve to cut the nut.

Just to be clear, you mean to cut just forward of the recoil lug, like maybe a 1/16” or 1/8” and go all the way around the nut?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckbill View Post
    Just to be clear, you mean to cut just forward of the recoil lug, like maybe a 1/16” or 1/8” and go all the way around the nut?
    did you put rosin on the wood blocks? i have had success by first wrapping a couple layers of masking or painters tape on the degreased barrel, and then applying rosin on the outside of the tape. the tape will defrom into the blocks and give a better bite.

(i just used powdered rosin from the racket sports dept of big box sporting goods store)

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Just dont get carried away. I’ve seen accidents where the receiver face ends up with a mark or two. Just take your time, and it will go smoothly! And I would try for 1/16” ahead of the recoil lug.

Quote Originally Posted by chop house View Post
    did you put rosin on the wood blocks? i have had success by first wrapping a couple layers of masking or painters tape on the degreased barrel, and then applying rosin on the outside of the tape. the tape will defrom into the blocks and give a better bite.

(i just used powdered rosin from the racket sports dept of big box sporting goods store)
    Ive seen that used but don’t have any. We have a Dick’s Sporting Goods here. I could check there tomorrow

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Just dont get carried away. I’ve seen accidents where the receiver face ends up with a mark or two. Just take your time, and it will go smoothly! And I would try for 1/16” ahead of the recoil lug.
    OK. Thanks again. Might try to find some rosin tomorrow. If that doesn’t work, then I cut.

Had to grind one one time but I did it length wise. As Julia Childs once said,"Frightning!"

Basic Member
    I have been lucky so far, so not much help. How about a sharp chisel in an air hammer? I use a hair dryer for heat.

Basic Member
    I have better luck using an action wrench in my vice to hold the action and then spin the barrel nut off. Remember the barrel nut is a jam nut, you need to separate the action and the nut not the barrel and the action like a remy. Sounds silly I know but I have tried both ways and the action wrench method makes them all a breeze.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

Action wrench, lay it on the floor and whack the nut wrench with a dead blow. Never failed for me.

VICTORY IS MINE! I got it! Thanks for all of the help and great ideas. The secret ingredient turned out to be powdered cane sugar on the block. Hard to believe that’s all it took. Threads on the nut look bad. Need to replace it.

Team Savage
    Wrap barrel with duct tape to stop slipping in blocks. Be careful with a action wrench, it is easy to bend the action rails. But, Cmgoff has it right, you are working against yourself with just a barrel block. Soak the nut and heat just the nut with a propane torch......not barrel too. Hit the backed up nut several times with hammer. Hit the barrel nut wrench a sharp blow with 2# steel hammer....not dead blow hammer! You want a SHOCK! If that fails, cut nut several places, just be careful not to cut threads. Since the nut is a loss....you could grind a cold chisel to fit the slots in nut and drive it off.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Angermanagement View Post
    If you've ever re-gripped a golf club you will know what I'm talking about. It's rather simple, you buy some tape for that purpose either on line or at a golf shop. (carpet places also carry it but call it other names) Wrap it around the barrel and add a splash of mineral spirits. Clamp your blocks down and wait a few minutes, maybe 10 or twenty. Test the nut with a whack or so and see if it's set up. If not wait a little longer. What will happen is the mineral spirits soften the sticky on the tape and then flashes off. Basically it glues it to the two surfaces. You don't see many grips letting go on golf clubs and you know damn well we all put way to much muscle into those...lol. Cleanup is wiping it off with mineral spirits.

Thats a a great idea. I used to have my clubs regripped twice a year.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    Wrap barrel with duct tape to stop slipping in blocks. Be careful with a action wrench, it is easy to bend the action rails. But, Cmgoff has it right, you are working against yourself with just a barrel block. Soak the nut and heat just the nut with a propane torch......not barrel too. Hit the backed up nut several times with hammer. Hit the barrel nut wrench a sharp blow with 2# steel hammer....not dead blow hammer! You want a SHOCK! If that fails, cut nut several places, just be careful not to cut threads. Since the nut is a loss....you could grind a cold chisel to fit the slots in nut and drive it off.

Bill
    I have heard of people bending actions but have never actually seen it done. Savage barrel nuts are pretty easy compared to the Remington barrels and even those, so long as you are paying attention and only apply torque to the wrench weather than bending the action.

Also I really do not recommend using a hammer or a dead blow for any action removal. This is a good way to do unnecessary damage when a breaker bar could have been used.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cmgoff, Many times the actions are bent is when a hack puts something through the ejection port through the mag port to get leverage.

Team Savage
    Ive seen that used but don’t have any. We have a Dick’s Sporting Goods here. I could check there tomorrow
    I couldn't find any in my small town so I used table sugar. It worked great. I wiped the blocks with a damp towel then sprinkled sugar on the blocks. The moisture held the sugar in place. That was the trick I needed to get mine off. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. The sugar just washes right off the barrel afterwards.

Team Savage
    Thats a a great idea. I used to have my clubs regripped twice a year.
    I regrip my own clubs and always have golf grip tape on hand. That was the first thing I tried. It didn't work. Sugar worked much better.

Team Savage
    VICTORY IS MINE! I got it! Thanks for all of the help and great ideas. The secret ingredient turned out to be powdered cane sugar on the block. Hard to believe that’s all it took. Threads on the nut look bad. Need to replace it.
    That's a pretty great feeling ain't it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast