Thread: Looking for options and opinions ~ scope for M416 ? Lots of pics and some questions! help?!

Exclamation Looking for options and opinions ~ scope for M416 ? Lots of pics and some questions! help?!

I've recently purchased a Stevens Model 416. Apparently, I have a bad weakness for bull barrels and old wood!

Anyway, she cleaned up real well! Will try to add a few pics.

What type/model is this front sight? Same question for the rear sight...

Found this mark/stamp on the barrel. What does it mean?

The rumor is that these marks under the butt plate can help me determine year of manufacture.
    If true, can somebody translate? The Rifle has NO serial number, as expected.

And HERE she is~I think she looks great for a pre-WW2 trainer (civilian version)!! Love the wood!
    Bluing is at +95% (no pitting or rust anywhere!) and bore is just about perfect! Feeling darn proud of my find at LGS!
    And the price...I can't tell you..don't want to go to jail! LOL!

Anyway, eyeballs are having trouble focusing on targets .
    So I'm looking at putting a period correct scope on the rifle. I cant afford the high priced, long bodied Lyman, Unertl or Fecker scopes.

I need your opinions and options for scopes that can be mounted to the existing factory blocks.
    Just don't know Stevens products well enough to know what would have been a "correct" scope for the time period. Need your help!
    I would like to TRY to keep the cost Below $100? Below $200?

Speaking of help! What's the best way to get rid of a bad white mold problem on the sling??

Congrats...Noice find
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Nice find! Wish I could help with your questions but I'm gun-dumb when it comes to the old Stevens rifles. I might be able to get you a little generic detail on the rifle from one book I have, but that would be about it. I'll see what it has in it on these.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Ok, here's what Philip B. Sharpe's book "The Rifle in America" (circa 1938) has on the 416.

Bolt Action Target Rifle No. 416
    Introduced 1937
    Still manufactured 1938

The Model 416 rifle is Stevens' attempt at a medium-priced heavy-weight target rifle completely equipped. This came out in three types known as 416-1, 416-2 and 416-3, the variation in these types being purely a matter of sights.

The barrel is 26 inches long, heavy tapered and chambered for 22 long rifle cartridge. A five-shot machine rest target accompanies each rifle to show exactly what the barrel will do.

Action is of the bolt type with a five clip magazine, speed lock with short firing pin fall, adjustable trigger pull. Bolt handle is placed in a low position which permits of a telescope sight mounted close to the barrel for sporting purposes if desired thus giving the same sighting plane with a telescope as with the regular sights. Independent safety with a red dot indicator is operated by the thumb and is located on the right hand side of the action.

Stock is of American walnut, oil-finished, built large and heavy for target use. The rifle comes equipped with sling strap with an adjustable position for the front sling swivel in keeping with the current 1937-1938 trend in heavy target rifles. A 1-1/4 inch oil-treated military sling strap is standard equipment as is a checked steel butt plate.

Sights include the new Stevens No. 25 hooded fron sight with five removable inserts and a Lyman 57 rear sight designed to fit the rifle. Telescope blocks are also standard. The arm complete with sling strap weighs about 9 1/2 pounds.

Rifle No. 416-1 has the equipment just described. No. 416-2 sells for slightly less money and includes a simple blade type of front sight with receiver rear sight. No. 416-3 is the same rifle without any sights but having telescope sight blocks.
    So if nothing else you now know what the sights are front and rear.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    As stated above the front sight is the Stevens No 25 hooded, which is the factory sight for these, but the rear is not a Lyman 57 on this rifle, it is a factory Stevens No 106 peep sight. The Lyman sight was only used very early, before the introduction of the No 106 sight.

All Good info folks! Thank you and keep it coming!!
    Any thoughts on the stop sign shaped mark on the barrel? Acceptance mark?
    See pics above.
    What about the strange marks I found on the back side of the butt plate?
    Could it possibly translate into info about year of manufacture? Curious small minds want to know!