Thread: A-22 .22 LR Boyd stock problem

A-22 .22 LR Boyd stock problem

Hi all.........

Newbie here, first post. I just received and installed a Boyd Classic stock on my .22 LR A-22. The stock seemed to install easily and appears to fit well. My problem is the rotary magazine will not fit, no way can I get it to snap into place. Anybody else have this kind of problem? Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whoziss View Post
    Hi all.........

Newbie here, first post. I just received and installed a Boyd Classic stock on my .22 LR A-22. The stock seemed to install easily and appears to fit well. My problem is the rotary magazine will not fit, no way can I get it to snap into place. Anybody else have this kind of problem? Help!!!
    Just got this reply from Boyds:

Hello,
    It seems that the rotary magazines do not work in our stocks. You may need to purchase a different magazine.

Thank you

Customer Service
    Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks
    25376 403rd Ave

How bout them apples? Thanks, Boyds.

Basic Member
    Wow.

THat ain't right.

And that's why you call rather than email a manufacturer when you have an issue. If/when they give you an absolutely absurd response like that you can point out their flawed thinking right on the spot rather than playing email tag, and hopefully in the process get the issue sorted out AND educate that C/S person a little.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    ^^ Yes, j.baker, but Boyds, unfortunately, too often won't take calls. In their case, you have very few options beyond e-mail. They are what they are. I use them a lot, but rely on them for nothing and know that, in all likelihood I am getting a good start on a semi finished product. The rest is up to me. Not excusing anyone or anything about them. They are incredibly inexpensive if they work.

The Magazine will fit if...

I have the Savage A 17 and the A 22M. I also experienced your dilemma. Sometimes you have to give a close fit exam between the timber and the metal (plastic). Start by separating the action from the Boyd's stock. Turn the stock upside down and place your Savage rotary magizine in place. The magazine will not fall through the magazine well. Take notice of the plastic magazine locking tab that came with your new Boyds stock. The front mounting screw passes through this magazine locking tab and the tabs placement is critical. The tab is wedged in place and can be adjusted in its channel. On my two Boyds stocks, there is a difference in regards to whether the front mounting screw passes through or comes to rest on top of that plastic tab. One of mine has a hole in it that is way larger than the screws diameter and the other stock is an exact fit. Turns out that it really doesn't matter. When you finally button everything together make sure to torque that mounting screw first and at 40 in lbs., then the rear mounting screw. This is after all is well of course. The plastic tab is captured in position (wedged) and it isn't going anywhere. The front mounting screw and Boyd's routed channel along with the wedged fit insure that. Just center that tab and make it extend about 1/8th " beyond the wood bed so that the magazine's latch engages. Now the easy part. Get a 1/4" wood chisel (sharp, razor sharp) and square up all the corners in the magazine well. Take note where the magazine's final position should be and then little by little shave away...yes I said shave, and earlier on I said sharp wood chisel. Take your time and go slow...fit and refit and on and on. SLOW. The corners need to be squared up in my magizine wells because the router of the cnc device can't do that causing some corners to give lift to the magazine and not allowing a properly seated fit. Check fit along the two wood rails, purches or a description of your choice (?) that are a stop mechanism for the magazine. When you first dropped the magazine into your new stock, you will notice that the magazine will not fall through... those are the stops I'm refering to. How did I get the knowledge I just shared with you? I actually have three of those Boyd's stocks that fit the A series, and that particular stocks fit in reguards to the magazine might be compairable to the way a pair Jockey underpants fit after 3 0r 4 days continued use. Loose as a goose. Can't be comfortable until you make the necssary adjustments. The total amount of wood I removed was minimal, but it was just enough to keep the mag from locking in position. Go slow and you'll get there soon.
    Try glass bedding next it's not that scarry either. Check out Cave something on u tube (sp) I know.
    ha ha Dweller.
    Last edited by 7Decades; 10-19-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: forgot that I can't post photos yet