I picked up a BA Stealth long action in 300WM. It came w the long pic rail that drops and extends several inches over the bbl...I guess for hi speed night vision or whatever that I'll never use. I don't like the look of it plus I want to add a 20moa canted rail anyway.

So I have three options, but I'm poor and cheap and frugal and over analyze everything. And I'm looking for thoughts so i can learn from all the expert knowledge around here.

Option #1 - EGW 6061 not hard coated: since this is a 300wm, I'm thinking this is a nogo but I like it bc it's cheap and has a 20moa cant. I'd have to drill holes out for #8 screws. I think it's around $40 ish.

Option #2 - EGW HD Stealth 7075 hard coated: this is about $70 but is more appropriate material and coating for recoil of win mag. Plus these are already drilled to accept #8 on the stealth actions.

Option #3 - all steel pic rail w 20moa cant: problem w these are they are around $120 and I'm extremely cheap. Plus I'd hafta drill out the holes but that's not a big deal. Obviously, this would provide the best performance, and I don't care a lick about weight difference of a steel pic rail.

Conclusion: my ultimate goal is to stretch this out to 1k yard for some local f class style competitions (not PRS or whatever) after I spend some time on load development and making this baby mine. Just friendly competition, not serious stuff. Importantly, in so doing, I plan to take advantage of the Stealth's 9.3" twist and shoot 225 and 230 grain pills, which will beat me and the pic rail up something good.

Therefore, seems like the steel base is the way I need to go regardless of cost. Either pay a little now and a lot later, or pay only "a lot" one time.

I think $120 pic rail is highway robbery, especially if I get it and any single rail is out of tolerance. But meh.

HOWEVER...

I'm curious as to any thoughts from anyone bc I want to learn more. And my bottomline question is: how durable is the 7075 hardcoat if we assume I do NOT dismount my scope very much.

Does anyone recommend a steel base other than the Werne? Is there a better steel option?