Thread: Need some suggestions

Need some suggestions

I own 2 new rifles...

Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP Package, Bolt Action, .300 Win. Magnum

And the

Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP Package, Bolt Action, 6.5 creedmoor

Both in the left handed model. The 6.5 is all over the place, I can flex the barrel in the stock almost 3/4 of an inch by hand. I am looking for 2 things, so this post will be in both areas, but I am looking for-
    Best suggestions for aftermarket stocks, and barrels.
    They will be used for hunting, but I will be carrying the .300 a lot. The 6.5 will have a lot of setup...not as much carry.

What are your thoughts? Is Boyd’s worth it for the .300? I am more interested in something with a pistol grip...

As far as barrels, we only have a few worth looking at, I need the big heavy for the magnum correct? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boyds would be worth it for the 6.5 CM, so worth it as well for the .300 WM. I put a featherweight pistol grip (fish scale w/Pachmayr) on my .260 Rem whitetail rifle. Aluminum pillars and glass bedded.

Barrel profile? You have to carry it. Heavy is great for target. Necessary for 20 round strings. But for one or two at game after carrying the rifle four or five miles and thousands of feet in elevation change . . . not so much. And then getting the rifle and the carcass back to the trailhead/camp/car/home. Ounces matter.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I’m new to customizing, what is glass bed? can you add a pistol grip to the Boyd setup, is it just an add on to the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glass bedding is cutting away some wood and mating the action to the stock in an epoxy foundation. VERY stable to heat and weather changes.

The thumbhole kind of has to be part of the stock design. Swapped more than altered.

Glass bedding

Thumbhole - a way to get the attributes of a pistol grip on a conventional stock like the M11 & M111 use.

Hey thanks, I’m looking at this one...
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/boyds-at-one-thumbhole/
    In left handed of course... you think this would be good, do you know where I could find diy for glass bedding (I’m pretty handy) or should I leave it to a gunsmith?

Quote Originally Posted by eppicredneck View Post
    Hey thanks, I’m looking at this one...
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/boyds-at-one-thumbhole/
    In left handed of course... you think this would be good, do you know where I could find diy for glass bedding (I’m pretty handy) or should I leave it to a gunsmith?

The At-one thumbhole is a pretty nice design and function (I'll probably go with one of those on my next stock swap) I put the Pro Varmint on my .260 and like it very much. You can find the glass bedding in just about any outdoor/sporting goods store that carries guns. I got mine at Sportman's warehouse or Cabelas. Glass bedding concept is fairly simple... The problems can come from using too much "goop" or even bigger issue if you didn't get enough grease (release agent) on all the correct parts of the action. If that happens you may never get the stock and the action to separate again short of a "sledge hammer"... Metaphorically speaking of course.

I watched a you tube video made by "the social regressive" before I did my first bedding job on my Axis. The process is the same (but different) because the actions are not exactly the same.

For what it's worth.... My .260 is NOT glass bedded (Just pillar bedded) and it with shoot .5MOA all day long.
    I also would recommend Criterion barrels for your aftermarket replacement through Northland Shooter Supply. I've got 3 of them so far and every one of them will shoot .5 MOA.

I am betting at least part of your accuracy issues are scope and mounting system related. Your best money is on a decent mount and scope. Adjust your trigger and practice. You did not mention your experience level but shooting small groups is not at all simple. I have seen flimsy stocked rifles shoot one hole groups off of a bag.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I’m disabled military, lifetime shooter but out of practice. Scope is 3-9-40 Nikon BTC, it’s pretty good, and sighted in by a sniper, when he handed me his rifle I buried 3 shots touching at 225 yards, so we factored everything out. The mounting of the gun to the stock was shoddy at best, I am going to tighten it down and try again, but with the .300 WM I hit much better, but still not satisfactory. We swapped the mag scope for a Mark 4 LR/T 6.5-20x50mm (a gift loan lol). I will be testing it out later. I hate synthetic, so I’m going to wood...

I’m not a “bench shooter” or a sniper anymore, I just want it to “feel” good again... and right now it doesn’t.

Basic Member
    Boyd's stocks are certainly better than the plastic stocks that came with the rifle (IMHO). As far as barrels go there are three listed on this site. All offer quality prefit barrels for a Savage action. There are others as well and I'm sure you can find they with a quick search on the web.

Basic Member
    I’m not a “bench shooter” or a sniper anymore, I just want it to “feel” good again... and right now it doesn’t.

Sorta like riding a bike or swimming, once you can you always can with a little practice.

If your 6.5 Creedmoor is "all over the place" I would first recommend dismounting te scope and base and reinstalling - or upgrading. My M11 had the "factory mounted scope" and the base screws were loose from the factory. Never would have held a zero.

I went with all steel Warne. The two-piece OEM bases were already steel . . . just loose. That's one place a hair more weight may be worth it. The rings were discount-store aluminum. Buh-bye.

That might help, I need to tighten the stock to the rifle itself too...it’s a mess.

Basic Member
    That might help, I need to tighten the stock to the rifle itself too...it’s a mess.

Just last week I was helping a fellow shooter with a Savage 12FV 6.5 CM in original stock that was not shooting as it did new. I offered to torque his action screws and then torque tune the rear screw. Very quickly it was shooting better than ever. Google "torque tuning Savage action" here or on the web.

Being a lefty really limits your options on many things gun related. For left handed stocks, go to Richards Microfit and order a custom cut stock. You'll have to do all the finish work and bedding but in the end you get exactly what you want. If you're handy around tools, I think you'll find it to be very enjoyable.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    I will throw in another positive review for Boyd's. I own several and all seem to function extremely well for me at least. I have some that are bedded and a some that are not. Both shoot better than me and I doubt I will ever be able to tell by group size which is which... I have a pro varmint on my creedmore that I have used at local club PRS matches and have held my own very well with it. That particular one is not bedded at all. As far as barrels go the sky is the limit. If your looking for a decent accurate hunting barrel look no further than the Wilson's from one of our sponsors here. Of course there is always pacnor, shilen, CBI and a host of others that are fantastic barrels however they are a bit more money than the wilson

Thanks guys... googling now! Also working my own finish and stuff sounds great...I’m skilled with wood...

Basic Member
    Not sure (handy) would be the best word choice to use for finishing Richards stocks.
    But they do make for a very nice stock when finished.