Thread: Savage hog hunter to smokeless muzzlwloader

Basic Member

Savage hog hunter to smokeless muzzlwloader

Just finished converting a hog hunter to a smokeless muzzleloader. Green mountain barrel, breech plug and bolt head from precision rifle in Manitoba, Uses rifle primers in an adapter for ignition. Stock is a Boyds. Just waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can go see how it will shoot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muzzkeloader.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	4562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt head.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	4563

Basic Member
    Well that's not what I would do with a hog hunter, but looks like an interesting project. What caliber is it?

What caliber?

You may have a hard time seating a .308 bullet from the muzzle! Generally the bullets or balls are 0.010" undersize and patched with paper or cloth (or a plastic sabot).
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    50 cal

Ah. That'll do it. ;-)

Cool project. I'm intrigued.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I wish the state I lived in would allow us to use a muzzle loader with a covered/shielded ignition system. We also can’t use shotgun primers. Per the regs it has to be an exposed ignition using a musket cap, flint or percussion cap.

I need a muzzle loader too. =(

I’m digging your conversion though!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I wish the state I lived in would allow us to use a muzzle loader with a covered/shielded ignition system. We also can’t use shotgun primers. Per the regs it has to be an exposed ignition using a musket cap, flint or percussion cap.

I need a muzzle loader too. =(

I’m digging your conversion though!
    Sucks a select few blowhards can keep a stranglehold on outdated reg's like that. Several states have the same issue with crossbows because the bow hunters don't like them. Nevermind that crossbows originated in both Europe and China somewhere around the 5th or 6th century BC, or that they offer no better accuracy or distance advantage over a modern compound bow. Nope...can't use them unless you're disabled in many states because the blowhards don't like them. Like said blowhards modern $1,500+ Matthews, Hoyt or Bowtech compound bow is any more "traditional" than a modern crossbow. If arrow/bolt speed is the issue there's a simple solution for that - put a reg in that limits it to 350fps for all types of bows - I guarantee you the crossbow makers will happily adapt their products to comply to gain those sales in the new market that opens up to them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I don't see much difference between compounds and crossbows, either. But then I'm a sightless one-piece recurve & wood arrow hunter. ;-) Most of mine cost less than $120 from garage sales or classifieds; though I do have one modern recurve that I bought new.

But that's a path I set for myself and don't expect others to follow the same one. I can shoot 20 yards in my basement and do almost every day to keep my eye and reflexes in.

As far as muzzleloaders - it's one shot. How you make it is less important than how you hit the animal. I m/l hunt with a flintlock because I like them. And they do work in the rain; if you do it right. Until two seasons ago in this part of NY a centerfire rifle wasn't allowed for deer so I used my flintlock rifle quite regularly for deer. It's fine past 100 yards with a .54 cal round ball (230 gr).

I grouse hunt with a flintlock shotgun - weighs seven pounds (42" barrel) and it is a beauty. It's all good.

Basic Member
    Deleted!