Thread: Peterson SRP 6.5 CM Brass Has Smaller (1.5mm) Flash Hole

Basic Member

Peterson SRP 6.5 CM Brass Has Smaller (1.5mm) Flash Hole

Recently bought some Peterson large and small rifle primer brass in 6.5 CM to try out. After fire forming I discovered that the small rifle primer (SRP) brass has the smaller 1.5 mm flash hole. And wouldn't you know it, my Hornaday Custom Die set does not come with the smaller pin. The Hornaday website does not indicate that they carry it, but a call to them and they do have it and it's on its way under warranty.

Gotta love Hornaday Customer Service!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I’m using Lapua Small Primer cases and the hole is also too small for a standard pin. However I just took one of my standard Decapping pins and chucked it in a drill them used some sand paper to grind off a few thousandths.

yep. Do not push the oversize pin through.

I did the same thing with the sand paper. Works fine. Took a while though. I tried the Peterson brass also. I couldn’t get my rifle to shoot the small primer brass as accurately as the large primer brass. Haven’t tried the large primer Peterson brass yet but I have it and have turned the necks on it getting ready. Out of 25 pieces I had 2 that would not clean up all the way around.

Basic Member
    I ran into the same issue with some Peterson .260 Remington with the small rifle primers. I ordered a Redding full length die and a 10 pack of .057 decapping pins https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...57--(10-count). Supposedly the smaller primer allows for higher pressures and the smaller flash hole gives a more even combustion and better SD's. I plan on having to tweak my loads when I switch over. Good news is I have a ton of CCI 400's 450's and BR-4's and some Federal Match to tweak with

Basic Member
    Get a Mighty Armory Universal Decapping die. Specifically "The PUA" die. The decapping rods are heat treated which reduces the chance of the small diameter pin of bending or snapping to practically 0.

Peterson has the choice of both small and large primer in the 6.5 Creedmoor (the .260 Rem as well).

You can get a separate decapper for $20 and not run the resizing die stem as deep as the primer pocket. I have heard it helps prevent run-out a bit doing it as a seperate operation as well.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Get a Mighty Armory Universal Decapping die. Specifically "The PUA" die. The decapping rods are heat treated which reduces the chance of the small diameter pin of bending or snapping to practically 0.

Thanks for the tip. I bookmarked their page. If the Redding small pins don't work out I will be ordering one.

Basic Member
    Update; New 1.5 mm de-capping pins arrived Saturday from Hornaday. Package included two, very thoughtful of Hornaday and no charge. Can't beat that!

The hardest problem I encountered in changing pins was getting the expander head off the decapping stem. It was installed with Locktite and I had to use a torch.

Once off though, changing pins was easy peasy.

My many thanks to Hornaday for first rate customer service.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I like Hornady's customer service myself. I have dealt with them in the past for parts and advice on my AP progressive and just yesterday to order a coupe of parts so I can use the powder throw as a standalone.

On the subject of the Peterson brass I am loving the .260 SRP stuff. I did some load testing with it today and 4 had SDs in the single digits and 2 were barely in the double digits and the highest was 22 going from 36.0 to 37.8 grains in .2 increments