Thread: Axis light primer strike problem solved big time!

Axis light primer strike problem solved big time!

Hello fellow Axis owners:
    I purchased a Savage Axis .308 southpaw last October, and have been plagued by light primer strikes on certain types of ammo; it would fire most ammo from RemChesterFed, but would turn up its nose at a lot of the foreign ammo, specifically the Berdan-primed ComBloc stuff. I sent it back to the factory, but it came back doing the same thing. I then took it to the gunsmiths at Ahlman's, who in turn sent it back to the factory. Apparently they have some clout at Savage, because that thing came back ON FIRE!!!. It now drills the nastiest, hardest, most recessed Berdan-primed Russian stuff like nobody's business, and dead-center to boot. Here is what they did:
    (My request)
    Could you send me an itemized list of exactly what was done to and what specific parts were replaced on this rifle? I have had issues with light primer strikes in the past, but now it punches even the hardest Berdan primers with authority; this gun now eats up anything I can give it - very impressed!!! I would like to post your solution to this issue to some of the forums, where other Axis owners are struggling with light primer strikes. Whatever you did works like a charm; thank you very much!!
    (Their response)
    Hi,
    I'm glad to hear your firearm is functioning to our factory standards. Now you can enjoy shooting your firearm.

The gunsmith replaced the firing pin/main spring kit and than had it tested at the range.

thank you,

Basic Member
    Interesting.

Basic Member

Hi, I'm curious if you noticed any beneficial decrease in lock time (and tightened groups) w this new striker spring ? Groups tighten up at all?

I've heard others talk about using a heavier spring to decrease lock time, but I was always wondering how much of a difference it would really make and what were the downsides/trade offs. Like harder bolt lift.

Do you notice a harder bolt lift now?

Is trigger pull any heavier?

Edit: wish they'd say which parts are included on the "kit"

There is no "kit." All they did at the factory was replace the originally supplied parts with different standard production parts. Savage doesn't make various rate springs for the Axis, nor do they make different firing pins. Most likely the old parts were on one edge of the allowable tolerance and the new parts are on the other edge of allowable tolerance.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Most likely the old parts were on one edge of the allowable tolerance and the new parts are on the other edge of allowable tolerance.
    Yea you probably right.

I just found this link/post, seems informative for what I was asking (sorry to hijack) http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ased-Lock-time