Thread: Unknown part reassemble question/help!

Unknown part reassemble question/help!

110 L .264 win mag #409xx disassembled to blue. Ejector, spring and small ball bearing fell out. I was able to determine the ejector and spring sit inside a slot rear of the mag box embedded in the stock, but where in the world does this little B.B. sized ball go? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything on the net shows ejector, spring and dented ball in the bolt there’s nothing showing this older configuration. Thanks and the blue suggested here worked great!

Extractor....

I’m confused. My understanding is the extractor is the “claws” at the end of the bolt head itself which remove the spent case from the chamber. No problem there but the ejector is a part that goes inside a spring and both parts go in a slot rear of the top load box magazine. When removing action, barrel, floor plate and trigger guard the ejector, spring and small bearing fell out. I have no clue where the bearing goes. It’s about the size of a daisy B.B. gun pellet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Click swish boom View Post
    110 L .264 win mag #409xx disassembled to blue. Ejector, spring and small ball bearing fell out. I was able to determine the ejector and spring sit inside a slot rear of the mag box embedded in the stock, but where in the world does this little B.B. sized ball go? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything on the net shows ejector, spring and dented ball in the bolt there’s nothing showing this older configuration. Thanks and the blue suggested here worked great!
    Part #16 on schematics

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/10470R

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage_110_schem.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	4549

LH .264 is a little different. Part 12 bolt head has the extracted/ejector spring and ball inside it, but if you check part #8 it lists the bolt head for my gun separately with pic. I’m starting to think the ball may have been inadvertently left in the stock prior. As stated the ejector is NOT part of the bolt. If anyone has an old LH Savage in .264 win mag may know anything about this ball please respond. My bolt is fine and if there is a bearing under the bolt head it hasn’t been opened...yet,... Funny thing is it functions normal without the ball but I haven’t been to the range with it.

There should be a detent ball under the extractor. You might double check that. I don’t have a schematic for the old model with ejector seperate from the bolt head.

Ok thanks, that’s the only one my research can find, I’ll check that. If the ball is there I’ll have to assume previous owner had somehow got a B.B. find its way in there. Thank you!

Basic Member
    There is no ball under the extractor......you have the old style c-clip type extractor. The only detent balls on these old rifles are in the rear baffle, and some have detent balls in the bolt assembly screw to prevent it from backing out.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

You are correct. After my son came home from Gmoms this mysterious ball has been Identified. My son was shooting his BB gun in the basement trap and put a single pellet on my bench mat under the Savage before I disassembled it. Unbelievable turn of events totally freaked me out. Thanks for all the info guys! Goes to show how important it is to keep your workbench clean and out of reach of children!

Learning experience on these older guns. Correct exploded view is drastically needed.

Lol, glad things were worked out! Guess I was ignorant on the old savage bolt head design, good thing sharpshooter was able to get you(and me) pointed in the right direction.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Click swish boom View Post
    You are correct. After my son came home from Gmoms this mysterious ball has been Identified. My son was shooting his BB gun in the basement trap and put a single pellet on my bench mat under the Savage before I disassembled it. Unbelievable turn of events totally freaked me out. Thanks for all the info guys! Goes to show how important it is to keep your workbench clean and out of reach of children!
    Haha... That's good stuff!