Thread: 2 screw versus 3 screw trigger adjustments.... Also, my safety engages to "safe" when dropped....

Basic Member

2 screw versus 3 screw trigger adjustments.... Also, my safety engages to "safe" when dropped....

I see a number of articles about savage 3 screw triggers and them being adjustable. I've seen posts where people say the two screw cannot be adjusted (but I found a good write up that I cannot find again by a gunsmith that showed how to adjust the two screw).

The three screw has a sear engagement depth screw, so you can reduce the "creep" of the trigger (or give more I suppose, if desired). The two screw does not have this feature.

I adjusted my two screw today. With some lighter wire (I did not find .042 or .040", but used some .048" which is less than the .055 factory) I got it down to about 3 lbs (measured using Wheeler tool). My sear really did not have much creep anyhow, but the factory trigger was at 5.5 lbs, and it had about 3/8" travel after firing. I was able to screw in the trigger travel screw to fix that. I messed with the safety adjustment mostly out of curiosity.

I tried 20 times or so to slam fire the gun, slaming the bolt forward as hard as I could. I began to wonder if I could bend the lugs, but common sense says that's not possible!!! No slam fires.

On to testing for drop firing. Dropping the gun onto its butt from increasing heights revealed in interesting event: The trigger never fired, but at about 15 inches drop, the safety itself will slide from "fire" to safe position from the inertia. Anyone ever noted this before? Design or happenstance??

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ent-Procedures

My flat back long action receiver does the same when dropped from that height. Personally I like that it goes to safe while still having enough tension when going forward with it.

Basic Member
    I just dug out my new (Thanks Cabellas!!!) 12FV 223 Varmint and dropped it as well. It has accutrigger, so was not worried about trigger, but wanted to see if the "safety engages on drop feature" exists in another gun.

Same result. At around 12-15" of drop the safety engages. Interesting.....

I adjusted a 2 screw trigger awhile back with the same results. The factory safety spring kinda limits the ability to adjust the tension.

Basic Member
    If you still want a .040 wire you can purchase a "Buzz Bait" lure and make a wire spring.