Thread: Looking for advice on using a 12FV 6.5 for long range shooting.

Looking for advice on using a 12FV 6.5 for long range shooting.

Howdy!

I’m currently using an 18” AR and single loading 75gr ELD-M handloads to ring 2/3 size silhouettes at 800 yards and would like to step up to a bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmoor. Being that I’m on a budget and after reading a lot of good things about the 12FV I’m thinking about picking one up in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve read that these rifles are very accurate either right out of the box or after ~100 rounds of fouling. The only real downside that I’ve seen mentioned is the blind mag. I’m not going to be competing in PRS matches or anything so the blind mag doesn’t bother me. After the discount Cabela’s gift cards and $100 rebate I’m looking at $230 out the door for this rifle. I already have a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope so all I’ll need is a 20 moa base and some rings.

Is there any reason why this rifle wouldn’t work for long range target shooting? Is there anything that I’m missing? Thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    Possibly a better stock...

A different (better) stock worked nicely for my 12FV. Groups tightened up a bit, and had fewer flyers.

Basic Member
    I don't have a 12 FV, but I have a 93R17 with a very similar cheap plastic stock. Glass bedding it did wonders for my group size. If you aren't going to replace the stock at least glass bed it.

If you can't afford a new stock right away, glass bed the cheap stock and go embarrass the guys with $5,000 rifles.

Bedding the factory stock sounds like a solid plan for the time being. Thanks!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer View Post
    Howdy!

I’m currently using an 18” AR and single loading 75gr ELD-M handloads to ring 2/3 size silhouettes at 800 yards and would like to step up to a bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmoor. Being that I’m on a budget and after reading a lot of good things about the 12FV I’m thinking about picking one up in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’ve read that these rifles are very accurate either right out of the box or after ~100 rounds of fouling. The only real downside that I’ve seen mentioned is the blind mag. I’m not going to be competing in PRS matches or anything so the blind mag doesn’t bother me. After the discount Cabela’s gift cards and $100 rebate I’m looking at $230 out the door for this rifle. I already have a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP scope so all I’ll need is a 20 moa base and some rings.

Is there any reason why this rifle wouldn’t work for long range target shooting? Is there anything that I’m missing? Thanks in advance!
    If all you are doing is "ringing 2/3 size silhouettes at 800 yards" I would highly recommend jumping on the 12FV. I'd also highly recommend shooting about 60 rounds through it before you buy an aftermarket stock. Mine in .223 will shoot a 5-round group at a 100-yards that will completely disappear under a nickle...

Basic Member
    If you're loading your own ammo, you might try the 130 gr Berger VLD target or Hybrid, and also the 142 SMK over H4350 or RL-17. For break-in and harvesting some good brass for hand loading, I found the Hornaday American Gunner 140 gn HPBT to be fairly accurate in my 6.5.

Virtually any descent stock will be a big improvement, so pick one to match the kind of shooting you'll be doing. There is a good selection at the $200 price point.

This week at the range, I shot the 142 SMK over both RL-17 @2900 fps and H4350 at 2750 fps. The H4350 put every shot on steel at 750 yds. despite the gusting wind and near freezing temps. RL-17 was a bit more erratic, but it was a higher velocity node for LR shooting, not the most accurate node. The difference between the two loads was 2 MOA at 750 yds.

Good shooting!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by TXRoadlizard View Post
    If all you are doing is "ringing 2/3 size silhouettes at 800 yards" I would highly recommend jumping on the 12FV. I'd also highly recommend shooting about 60 rounds through it before you buy an aftermarket stock. Mine in .223 will shoot a 5-round group at a 100-yards that will completely disappear under a nickle...
    Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    If you're loading your own ammo, you might try the 130 gr Berger VLD target or Hybrid, and also the 142 SMK over H4350 or RL-17. For break-in and harvesting some good brass for hand loading, I found the Hornaday American Gunner 140 gn HPBT to be fairly accurate in my 6.5.

Virtually any descent stock will be a big improvement, so pick one to match the kind of shooting you'll be doing. There is a good selection at the $200 price point.

This week at the range, I shot the 142 SMK over both RL-17 @2900 fps and H4350 at 2750 fps. The H4350 put every shot on steel at 750 yds. despite the gusting wind and near freezing temps. RL-17 was a bit more erratic, but it was a higher velocity node for LR shooting, not the most accurate node. The difference between the two loads was 2 MOA at 750 yds.

Good shooting!
    What kind of groups are you getting with the American Gunner?

It's a great platform to start from... That way, if you don't get the accuracy you're looking for, you can start upgrading things. A good stock is pretty much all it needs IMO. The Bobby Hart LRT is darn near drop in perfect. Had to take a dremmel to the trigger guard area to open it up enough for the factory trigger guard to work right, but that's it.

Basic Member
    Nope. No reason. I'm using that same rifle.

I'd really recommend a new stock for it though. I got the krg 180 alphs chassis, but there's lots of cheaper options. I'd also recommend getting detachable bottom metal from accurate mag or cdi precision.

That internal magazine is annoying.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    It's a great platform to start from... That way, if you don't get the accuracy you're looking for, you can start upgrading things. A good stock is pretty much all it needs IMO. The Bobby Hart LRT is darn near drop in perfect. Had to take a dremmel to the trigger guard area to open it up enough for the factory trigger guard to work right, but that's it.
    This is the one I'm considering for my 12FV.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.W. View Post
    Nope. No reason. I'm using that same rifle.

I'd really recommend a new stock for it though. I got the krg 180 alphs chassis, but there's lots of cheaper options. I'd also recommend getting detachable bottom metal from accurate mag or cdi precision.

That internal magazine is annoying.

The Alpha 180 looks like a viable option later on down the road.

Basic Member
    I ordered the chassis and should be here wednesday. I'll be sure to take some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.W. View Post
    I ordered the chassis and should be here wednesday. I'll be sure to take some pics.

Thanks! My 12FV will be here tomorrow and guess what I forgot to order? The freaking scope base which no one in my area has

Basic Member
    What brand scope base are you looking at? I have been getting the egw bases off eBay and receiving them within a few days.

Basic Member
    Seekins precision 20 moa base is what i used. I like that they had a recoil lug built into it. Nightforce has the same deal.

I picked mine up tonight 6.5cm with Cabela's covenant sfp scope I found in the bargain cave for half price. I got my rings and base off of ebay. I will try it out on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcjeep View Post
    What brand scope base are you looking at? I have been getting the egw bases off eBay and receiving them within a few days.
    I just ordered a 20 moa EGW base off of Amazon, it will be here Monday.