Thread: Shilen vs criterion and other info

Shilen vs criterion and other info

Hi
    This is my first time time on this site and my first time converting .308 to 6.5.

I have old savage 10Ba le model (magpul chassis). Looking for a pre fit barrel so what’s the recommendation? Mainly for long range shooting/ bench/hunting just an overall rifle

-shilen or criterion?
    -24” or 26”
    -bull or Varmint?
    -muzzle thread or no thread

Basic Member
    This has been discussed quite a bit and just most recently. Since it’s your first time, hit the search button for more info. Both good barrels. Bench - go with as thick as you’re willing to hump it from and to. Length both are fine only a few FPS difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my vote: I was in the same spot you are about a year ago. I went with a Criterion match grade varmint barrel (chambered in 260 Rem Match) at 25"... I built mine for long range gong shooting as well as busting varmints WAY WAY out there. I did not have it threaded for a brake or moderator at the time because Criterion uses the radial brake design as apposed to a directional. I had planned on shooting it prone so I wanted a directional brake so it wouldn't kick debris up in my face. I had planned on having a local GS thread it and Time the brake at the same time.... Still haven't done it, but it would probably increase my accuracy just because recoil is reduced.

I also contemplated between Bull and varmint contours as well. A few guys pointed out to me that the Criterion Varmint contour and 25" is .90" and the Bull is 1.0"... Take out your calipers and open them up 0.1... That's the difference between the 2.... You probably won't ever shoot more than a 10 string when shooting anyway unless you're in a prairie dog field or something in a SHTF scenario...

With that being said, I have 3 Criterion barrels because they've all been fantastic. My dad used to tell me "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so I've just stayed with Criterion.... But I wouldn't turn down getting a Shilen either as I've heard fantastic things about them as well.

My setup weighs in at just over 13 Lbs.

Just my 2 cents,

Team Savage
    I have Both, no complaints on either

Basic Member
    I think you could flip a coin on barrel manufacturer and length. Criterion has been good to me so I'll be sticking with them. For sure any barrel I order in the future will be threaded for a brake. Just ordered a 6.5 Creed a few weeks ago and its threaded.

I have 2 Criterions (28" .260, 6X47L), 1 Shilen (26".260) and 1 Criterion 18" AR15, 223 Wylde. They all shoot phenomenal groups. The .260's kill coyotes and rock
    chucks out to 900+ yards. Can't go wrong with both!

Basic Member
    If you want to spot your hits, you'll probably want a brake on the 6.5. I'll be ordering a Criterion from Northlands shooters supply in 6.5 CM, varmint weight with blended brake. Currently have a 26 in target crown and pretty much impossible to spot hits, even out to 1000 yds. Just can't re-acquire the target fast enough shooting off a bi-pod.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    If you want to spot your hits, you'll probably want a brake on the 6.5. I'll be ordering a Criterion from Northlands shooters supply in 6.5 CM, varmint weight with blended brake. Currently have a 26 in target crown and pretty much impossible to spot hits, even out to 1000 yds. Just can't re-acquire the target fast enough shooting off a bi-pod.
    Texas10,
    If you would be so kind, to advise me/us what you think of that Radial brake once you get it and have shot it. I considered doing the same with mine when I ordered it, but I didn't because it wasn't a directional brake. I will be shooting prone so I didn't want debris blown up in my face and eyes. I'm interested to hear what your experience is with the Radial brake. I may just have it done on my next barrel from them.

Basic Member
    Will do, however I shoot off a bench, so I'm not going to be able to provide a performance review from the "dust factor" perspective. Guys I've seen and talked to shooting the radial break say it works well, but again they're shooting off a bench.

What I like so far, from the perspective of shooting beside a gun with radial brake is that I don't get a huge blast in the face. And i guess I'm one of those "NUTS" that is mindful of my fellow shooters comfort while i shoot. And this is just as important to me as the efficiency of the brake as I'd previously swore I'd never get a brake due to it's effect on nearby shooters.

But being able to spot hits on distant targets, well...let's just say I guess I've loosened my death grip on the brake opinion.

Interesting high-speed photography of brakes in action. http://kuulapaa.com/index.html
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

If you are serious about accuracy get someone who provides barrels for competitive shooters. Southern Precision Rifles(Bugholes.com) comes to mind. With Barrel mfg options like Bartlein, Brux, Hawk Hill, Krieger, Rock Creek, Proof research and Mullerworks how can you go wrong. As always, Apache does exceptional work, at least for 99.9 percent of the people I've heard from.

But being able to spot hits on distant targets, well...let's just say I guess I've loosened my death grip on the brake opinion.

Heh heh. Yep

Basic Member
    Unless you're a Bench Rest shooter milking the last .01" out of a barrel,most shooters can't tell the difference in their groups from any Pre-fit button rifled barrel on the market. I've got barrels from E.R.Shaw,Shilen,McGowen,Wilson Arms on rifles. They all shoot excellent,clean easy,and will out shoot my abilities any day of the week.

I have no problem shooting 5 shot groups with my hand loads in the .1"- .3" range off a front rest/rear bag setup when I do my part. My E.R.Shaw 6.5 CM barrel has shot the smallest group That I've ever shot at 100 yards,at .122" center to center,my Shilen barrel has shot a .130" group.

My Shaw shoots that good too. Kind of unbelievable. Nevermind the fact that half of the jacket stays in the barrel. I do like the way the Shilen, Bartlein and X-Caliber's clean.

I have several Shaws and Criterions, many Mcgowen barrels not to mention a couple Shilen and a few others I cannot remember. I was waiting for a Criterion 243 barrel for an action I had ready when an E.R.Shaw in243 came up for sale on the site and I bought it was a good price, thinking I could play with it until my barrel came. I put it on my action after giving it a good cleaning took some loads to my range shot it in then shot a 5 shot group of .180 with 85 grain Sierra dropped down to some 65 grain sierras and put 5 in .142. Needless to say that barrel has found a home and I had to buy another action for the one coming.