Thread: Give me the lowdown on this company, do they hold up?

Basic Member

Give me the lowdown on this company, do they hold up?

Well, I am in the market for a new optic in the standard 3x9 BDC reticle. Vortex scopes are mainly what sit on my rifles, after a few bad experiences with eye relief and dusk hunting i am sad to say I am giving up on them. Leupold VX3 in the dusk plain destroys my vortex scopes. I hate to say that as I have been a Vortex owner/fan since before they became the household name they are. Their glass quality isn't bad, but until you step up to the Viper HS series they just aren't all that impressive for the price point.

With that being said I looked at 5 different brand scopes today including Vortex because deep down I really want to stay loyal.

The brand names were Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, and Styrka. (That's all my local shop carried down the road when I was getting groceries)

I was blown away by the Styrka in their S3 3x9 with their duplex reticle. Their claimed 4" of eye relief was true, unlike some other companies claimed eye relief. Their glass is super sharp and crisp to the edges with ZERO black lines on the outside. You can move your head quiet a bit before you start seeing the shading effect by not being properly aligned. I couldn't believe the quality of the glass and the eye relief. I have ZERO experience with how they hold up, but I grabbed their pamphlet and they will return your scope ZERO questions asked without filing out registration paperwork. This means the warranty transfers!

I compared the Styrka S3 3x9-40 to a couple different Leupolds (VX2,VX3,VX3i and Mark4) because that's what I was planning on purchasing when I walked in the store due to my last hunting experience when I couldn't make out a caribou at 100 yards and my father in laws Leopold VX3 was able to see it super clear in the dusk.

I kept going back and forth between the VX3i 3x9 CDS and the styrka and I will be damned if they styrka was better all around. I honestly thought my brain was playing tricks on me. I walked out of the store without the Styrka because I have never heard of them and I don't like taking a gamble on no name stuff. I have done that in the past and its almost always burned me when it comes to optics. I did have a chance to look at the Styrka s5 in the 4.5-14x and it was about on par with the VX3. The eye relief on the S5 4.5-14x was no where near as good as the S3 series in the 3x9, glass wise they seemed identical. I also looked through their styrka s5 series in the 1.75-5 AR type optic and I would say it was on par with the leupold glass.

To give you an idea, I own Swaro Binos, my old man has Nightforce scopes, my brother in law only wears ziess, my father in law only owns VX3's, so I am very familiar with good glass properties and what I want in a scope. I personally only own Vortex, Previously I only owned Burris high end scopes and after having to send them back multiple times I finally made the switch to Vortex.

Sorry for the long winded post.... What I came here to ask, does anyone have first hand experience with this glass/company? Their 3x9 series is only $220 at my local store, I was comparing $400+ glass and I swear my eyes chose the Styrka every time. What am I missing?!?!

Quite an amazing annual tune-up policy as part of their warranty.

https://styrkastrong.com/

I am not familiar with them but certainly am curious. I read through the website and they sure talk a good game. I used to sell cameras and they mention a lot of what you want to hear when looking at optics. They have to be fairly new as some of the weights are TBD (to be determined). I wonder where they are actually made.

Update- I found they are made in China and started up in 2016. Which I am neither happy nor discouraged about. They're getting scary good at manufacturing
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I was able to find their facebook. I am tempted to pick one up just so I can compare it to the zeiss conquest HD scopes my brother in law has. I was seriously blown away with their eye relief and crisp clarity, specifically in their 3x9x40 S3 series. Their S5 series was clear and crisp but it gives up eye relief. For my hunting needs of 400 or less yards 3x9 has always been sufficient.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/styrkastrong/reviews/

I'd love to see one in person.

American Hunter and Firearms Insider both liked it - though battery life was short (would not bother me as I don't like illuminated reticles).

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...th-side-focus/

The S5 BDC has my attention, but I'm sticking with my Nikon Prostaff. Though should I need a next scope . . .
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Here is a short review I did on the scope. I decided to purchase one to see if this company is complete junk or if it may possibly be another decent glass maker much like Athlon. I need to get out and test the mechanics of it and see if they are accurate and if they last.

https://youtu.be/dUj0WBBPdyc

I don't doubt one could find a similar scope on Ali Express. I've seen a lot of them there with similar looking reticles, mil reticle/MOA adjustments, and illumination rheostats within the parallax knob. What I was looking for was the oval faces on the adjustment body of the tube. I always think of it as a "Primary Arms" characteristic.

Basic Member
    Not sure what you are implying or if you are asking for more information... I am sure we could find pretty much any garbage on aliexpress. This company is based in minnesota, looks like they went to shot show this January and has been published in multiple different magazines from my research. If you think they are junk can you please tell me why. I have 30 days to return this thing.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They were published because it is pay to play.

There is a large demand for budget scopes in the US. China has mad millions and millions off of junk. They can actually make some decent stuff but they will not give it away.

I learned my lesson early. let someone else be China's field tester.

Nikon is my brand, I can't get past putting them on a Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeedog View Post
    Nikon is my brand, I can't get past putting them on a Savage.
    Well regardless of the brand, i can understand why people continue to use a product they've been happy with.
    I can also understand budget restraints being a reason for some decisions on things like scopes.
    But otherwise why would somebody consider something like that?
    Why not go on Ebay and spend about the same on a used scope with a lifetime warranty from a known reliable company?
    I have a new 3.5x10 VX3 that was sent to me free of charge to replace a used one i bought for as i recall about $300.
    I didn't even know the scope had any issues till i sent it in for a reticle change after i bought it, and they told me it did.
    What chance of that happening with one of these beautys?